pond and water table advice

• 3 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
pond and water table advice
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:29 »
Hi, my husband has taken out our garden pond as it wss situated at the bottom of our garden and prevented us from leveling our garden, anyway the previous owners created it to stay there for life as it was concreted and a foot thick all round, on removing the base we have water returning into the hole which I think we have hit the water table, not sure if we should leave some shingle to the bottom before filling in with soil, would this improve future drainage and prevent water loging or best to remove all debris?? Any advice would be great thanks

grinling

Re: pond and water table advice
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 19:07 »
how wet is the rest of the garden...would it be more useful as a bog garden

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 01:12 »
When my parents bought their farm, the whole area was in a high water table. Roads had to be built with cedar logs down first so the gravel or asphalt wouldn't sink. Basements weren't built because they'd fill in like swimming pools. But over the years the overall water table dropped dramatically, which wasn't good news for farmers who needed lots of water for cattle and horses.

If yours is a similar case then any low spot will always be soggy regardless what you do with it, so maybe a bog garden is the solution.

cadalot

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20 »
Don't forget the water table normally goes up and down with the amount of rain - and in the UK the water table was above ground in low lying areas for most of the country this year. Drainage systems worked in reverse and water came out of them instead of flowing down into them.

xx
Syphoning water from a river to top up my pond.

Started by SusieB on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post June 26, 2015, 12:49
by Goosegirl
xx
help with working out pond water quantity

Started by mickeyboy on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 15:23
by mickeyboy
xx
Table top raised bed

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2009, 23:22
by Trillium
xx
Covering a table

Started by mattleys on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 22:52
by mattleys

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 32 queries.