Composting - getting the right ratio

• 12 Replies

Superhero

Composting - getting the right ratio
« on: June 13, 2013, 13:29 »
I am thinking about getting a composter. I don't generally care how long it will take to turn into usable compost but I just consider it a very easy and handy way of getting rid of garden waste, grass cuttings etc. I have read up on the topic a little and it seems to be important to get the balance of "greens" and "browns" right at a ratio of about 1:2.

Now from what I saw greens are exactly that (grass cuttings, etc) and browns are whatever is brown, correct? I understand this would be bark, trees, wood, etc maybe even brown leaves in autumn?

Now we don't really have shrubs apart from a small hegde in the front so really all the garden waste that we'd get would be the odd dead plant in autumn etc., maybe some leaves, but mainly grass cuttings from the lawn and some "kitchen waste" (salad leaves, egg shells, etc.).

So does that mean that really I shouldn't bother with composting because especially during summer I would mainly add greens to the compost?

We've got two rabbits which use wood pellets in their litter try, I guess that and their poo would be the only "brown" stuff that would regularly go into it, together with the odd wood shaving from their hutch. But I doubt it would make up for a green to brown 1:2 ratio... ?

Sue33

Re: Composting - getting the right ratio
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 13:49 »

you can use old egg boxes, old cereal boxes, toilet roll innards, newspaper, that kind of thing will all add to the mix  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 13:52 »
We use shredded paper, loo rolls, egg boxes, plus the cage cleaning from the rabbits and piggy, also chicken stuff actualy i think ours is brown heavy but it still does great.

Superhero

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 13:55 »
I've been thinking about the odd "newspaper" but I totally didn't think of any other paper or cardboard! So would you actually throw all your papers and cardboard boxes on the compost, obviously the smaller shredded the better!? Do you only use the recycle bin for plastic stuff?

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 13:56 »
I think people take ratios of stuff like this to serious im sure the soil and worms wont be complaining if your ratios are incorrect throw it in and let it do its best

Superhero

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 14:03 »
When I was a kid we've always had composters and we would just add anything (but paper stuff) to it, like garden waste, kitchen waste etc (not the meaty bits of course and not cooked food either). I just did as I was told to add stuff to the compost but I never paid much attention. But I don't think my dad turned it over and he certainly didn't water it (although it was one without a lid, one of those wooden crates).

I am not sure we ever got any earth from it to be honest and even today my dad still loads his trailer once in a while and drives some of the compost away to a "tip".

So I am guessing the ratio does play a "certain" role but most importantly, maybe, is to turn it over frequently? What are your secrets to composting? Do you actually harvest any earth at the end of it and how long would you say it takes for your compost?

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 14:04 »
if I've got lots of cardboard and lots of newspaper I would put the cardboard in and leave the newspaper out, you do need to tear it up obviously, a plot neighbour of mine actually put the glossy advertising leaflets in as well, you need to try it and see what works, give it a stir every now and then and see what needs to be added; more green, more brown or just a bit of water  ;)

Superhero

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 14:05 »
Also, when you say "cereal boxes" for example, they are full of prints and ink. Isn't that something to avoid putting in the compost? Or is it fine to dispose printed stuff with colour and glossy paper?

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 14:33 »
Anything that has lived will compost. You may have to shred/cut/smash it up a bit first though.

Jon Gale

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 15:18 »
I used to add glossy cardboard bot found it came out the other end still glossy. Apart from that everything goes in. I sometimes put grass clippings in a separate pile if it looks like it is getting a bit slimy inside the bin.
Breaking new ground.............literally!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 15:43 »
I've gven up using my compost bin.  Brian doesn't discriminate at all.  If he has a bonfire ALL the ash goes on in one go, when he mows the lawn, ALL the grass mowings go on in one go and when we clean the chickens out ALL the manure goes on in one go, so its not a case of 6 inch layers, more like 6 ft layers!

Mind you, earlier this year after not being touched for about 4 years, it was looking rather good, so I said to him don't put anymore on there until I can dig the good stuff out.  But with the rotten weather we'd been having and getting so behind with everything, I didn't get round to doing it.

Now, it's all started again!  3 foot of mowings on top at the moment!   :(

Beetroot queen

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 15:45 »
I've gven up using my compost bin.  Brian doesn't discriminate at all.  If he has a bonfire ALL the ash goes on in one go, when he mows the lawn, ALL the grass mowings go on in one go and when we clean the chickens out ALL the manure goes on in one go, so its not a case of 6 inch layers, more like 6 ft layers!

Mind you, earlier this year after not being touched for about 4 years, it was looking rather good, so I said to him don't put anymore on there until I can dig the good stuff out.  But with the rotten weather we'd been having and getting so behind with everything, I didn't get round to doing it.

Now, it's all started again!  3 foot of mowings on top at the moment!   :(

Hubby can be a bit like that but we still get lovely compost, might be worth reminding him to give it a turn each time he adds something.  ;) you know the type, do it or dinner is off

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 21:51 »
I make loads of lovely compost but it takes longer than the sales blurb would have you believe even if you turn it regularly.  I chuck some boxes in whole as some air gaps are good. I don't put newspaper or mags into my bins.  I keep kitchen waste bins separate from garden waste as then I can generally guarantee it will be weed free, although it won't be tomato seed free so a plantation of little tomato plants can't be ruled out  :)  I do prod and stir mine from time to time, and I water it a bit if needs be. I keep a long metal pole by the bin  :)

If you're adding grass mowings don't put too many it at once as it just goes slimey.  I keep grass mowings in a builder's rubble sack where they will rot down without any help at all but you can add them to the bin as "browns"  In hot weather, adding grass mowings to the compost bin will really heat things up, providing the bin is in full sun of course and hot hidden at the back of the shed  :nowink:

xx
Composting - Lid On / Lid Off.

Started by sausage on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 00:42
by leeky
xx
Composting

Started by casper on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post April 24, 2021, 15:52
by jezza
xx
Composting Yew

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 18:15
by sion01
xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post April 04, 2022, 22:16
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.