Permanently egg bound hen

• 3 Replies

Bats

Permanently egg bound hen
« on: May 14, 2011, 10:39 »
Hi. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to chickens. I have 2 hens in my Eglu with a 3 metre run. I got a new hen 10 days ago (Brown Nick) she laid on the second day, which was a small egg. I would guess that she's 5 months old maybe. The problem is she is now always egg bound. I've read about the classic signs..... very lethargic, standing motionless, drooping body etc. When I first noticed this, I gave her a warm bath which produced a shell-less egg after about 20 minutes which I was very pleased with. Two days later, still no more eggs but same symptoms. At about 10pm she was standing in the run, and while standing she laid another shell-less egg. It cant be right that she's up walking around at that time of night? During the night last night she laid an egg with a shell in the run which is good, but she's in the same non mobile sleepy state today. She has, in the 10 days that I've had her, laid an egg in the nest box. I feed then layers pellets, very few kitchen scraps and water with an Oregano additive. Please can you help. It surely cant be right that this is going on. Many thanks. Andy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Permanently egg bound hen
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:49 »
It doesn't sound very hopeful.

If you have done the usual things like: feed layers pellets; give her some extra calcium (limestone flour is good); add some cod liver oil for the Vit D3; and then she probably will not do well.  You could try some bio yogurt  and a spot of cod liver oil for her - it has the right proportion of calcium and phsphorous for good calcium uptake.

If she doesn't improve within a few days what you do about it is up to you of course.  I would take here to the vet for treatment to prevent egg laying but many would just cull her and get another hen  :(

Bats

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 17:02 »
Hi Aunt Sally

Sorry for the late reply.

I followed your advice and it worked a treat. I gave her yogurt, cod liver oil and extra oyster shell. Within two days she was back to normal and now laying an egg a day.

Thanks for you advice.

Andy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 19:22 »
You're Welcome :D

xx
Permanently Broody

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 20:14
by violet
xx
Egg bound

Started by suep on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:06
by poultrygeist
xx
Is She Egg Bound?

Started by pookey on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 22:25
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Egg bound

Started by tonethebone on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 15:48
by Flowerpower136

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 34 queries.