cut flowers

• 21 Replies

mrsbean

Re: cut flowers
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 18:48 »
As others have said i grow dahlias,cosmos,delphinium,,red hot pokers,zinnia. My chrysanthemums that i picked for my daughter to take home yesterday are over 5ft tall with loads of stems on one branch, they last for ages in a vase and the unopened buds open gradually. They are great as a wind break and you can divide to get lot more clumps. I have holly and a pyracantha that i keep low growing for berries for the birds. Bells of Ireland sound nice will also give them a go. Nearly forgot cowslips and primrose that are remnants from the bordering farmers field. Good luck with your choices.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 20:49 »
Statice if you want an old fashioned dry option for winter.

Marguerites are another easy - plant and forget plant.  :)

mrsbean

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2015, 23:46 »
Norfolkgrey, i have a large pot of marguerites at home that have been cut down twice and are still flowering. Can i get cuttings off them now or am i to late.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 08:26 »
Norfolkgrey, i have a large pot of marguerites at home that have been cut down twice and are still flowering. Can i get cuttings off them now or am i to late.

I just lift and divide. They clump up so quickly and mine don't seem fussed when they get moved about. If you are worried and a bit more precious then try and break off smaller/ individual plantlets and plant them on.  :)

Headgardener22

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 14:28 »
I know this is slightly off topic, but are you allowed to concentrate on flowers? Our allotment has a limit (10%) on the amount of ground that can be used to grow flowers. (They also limit trees)

Eblana

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 19:58 »
I am on a private site so we don't have any restrictions.  We even have people who live in large apartment complexes close to the plots who have their plots laid out as lawns with flower beds around them and grow no veg at all.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 21:48 »
Ours has no restrictions on % for veg as opposed to flowers.  Some plots in the city are purely for pigeons, if memory serves right.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Cut Flowers

Started by pipfit on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 17:18
by Kristen
xx
Bay flowers

Started by Spana on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 19:16
by sunshineband
xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 38 queries.