Flock of gannets...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

Flock of gannets...
« on: November 07, 2017, 11:15 »
Yesterday, Mrs Growster saw a magpie fly down and pick up a whole new fatball in its beak and fly off...

They're not cheap you know, and I'm designing a padlock to go on the lid of the feeder...

(Growsterfatpad just doesn't seem right somehow)!

Christine

Re: Flock of gannets...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 16:16 »
Looking at post title, thought you were going to complain you'd had a flock of teenagers raid the fridge or some such family disaster  :D ;)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 17:06 »
Funnily enough, Christine, that used to be the case when I was a sprog, and the odd snag (sausage), would disappear from the fridge, and my mum would laugh, but this time it's an old fogey statement...

*sigh*

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 19:55 »
I hang a 6 oz lead weight off a bit of wire hooked in the bottom of the net bag.

My Magpies have neck muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger ! :)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 00:11 »
Looking at post title, thought you were going to complain you'd had a flock of teenagers raid the fridge or some such family disaster  :D ;)

The same thought occurred here!! I'm sure my offspring have hollow legs :lol: :lol:
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 15:54 »
Mr. Gander would be more than happy to assist you with your bird problem. Just let me know which guns you would prefer because he has quite an assortment. Please choose from the following options: Enfield, Martini Henry (echoes of Zulu here), Atkinson, Purdey (to name just a few) plus some flintlocks, patch-ball rifles, and other assorted weaponry. As he has won several championships both in Britain and abroad, he doesn't come cheap, so if you can't afford him I'll find my catapult, but as my eyesight is a little under par I can't guarantee if, where or what I will hit.  :nowink:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 16:53 »
I hang a 6 oz lead weight off a bit of wire hooked in the bottom of the net bag.

:lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 17:19 »
"As he has won several championships both in Britain and abroad, he doesn't come cheap, so if you can't afford him"

There you are then! Yet another feathered friend, zooming down and pinching all the stuff we arrange for the chaffinches, tits, robins etc!

I really don't know why we bother; feeding the whole blasted country's bird population on our meagre pensions  seems to be the only way out, but as we don't do 'politics' here, I'll keep my powder dry...

I'm off to use my KCC pass on a blunderbus!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 17:22 »

I bet they never return too...

Lead poisoning by stealth seems to be the way forward actually, but perhaps the bird police might object!

;0)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 17:57 by mumofstig »

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 13:04 »

I bet they never return too...

Lead poisoning by stealth seems to be the way forward actually, but perhaps the bird police might object!

;0)

The Jackdaws here do the same , they are safe from poisoning as the leads are below the food .
For many years i have  practiced lead poisoning by velocity for Magpies , the garden here is to small !

I thought i had built the roofed bird table small enough to keep the gulls off but i was proved wrong ! :mad:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 13:57 »
A wire cage around the food lets only small birds in.. could be worth a second thought perhaps?

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 14:11 »
Growster - if it makes you feel any better our bird feeders are being ravaged by a huge number of both collared doves and starlings.  :( >:( :mad:

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 14:42 »
A wire cage around the food lets only small birds in.. could be worth a second thought perhaps?

I have plans to put a few bars around the table at 6" centre to hopefully stop the bigger birds landing .
I have decided to cut back the fat balls to a bare minimum (excepting any very hard weather) and they will get get the occasional homemade one.

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 39 queries.