Egg Bound- ongoing problems

• 15 Replies

aspirant

« on: September 28, 2008, 08:25 »
I added to an existing thread this week with the post below...

I have a black rock who I found today lying on her side with a bloodstained egg half out of her vent. I'm pretty sure it was her first ever and it was quite a big one. I phoned the breeder and looked on the forum here and it seems she was egg bound. She is still lying on her side, eyes shut and shaking. Foul smelling poo and vomit come out of her when I pick her up. She doesn't feel hot under the wing but has a small prolapse. What is the best way to care for her and will a trip to he vets be any help? Help please.    

Following advice from people on here I took Henrietta to a local vet with hen knowledge who gave her an anti inflammatory injection, antibiotics and critical care supplement for us to syringe feed her.
She has been kept indoors in our guinea pig's cage and after five days is now feeding and drinking normally, and is otherwise alert and cheerful. However she is still not able to walk for more than a few steps and is very shaky. There has been no sign of another egg being laid. Has anyone any advice on what could be the problem with her legs or is it likely she is just weak from her ordeal?   :?

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 09:42 »
Hi aspirant. I wish I could offer advice, but have no experience of these conditions.

Have you checked her for any more stuck eggs ??
Just in case she's tried laying another and the swelling has stopped it in the abdomen somewhere.

Is she still hot under the wing ?
Is her comb red or dull ?
I wonder if she could have pulled or strained the muscles in her abdomen which may be painfull when she stands. No idea, just clutching at straws.

I hope she recovers quickly and doesn't need further treatment.
Keep us updated.

Rob 8)

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 10:07 »
Sounds like she is in shock.

Can you bring her in and pop her on a water bottle wrapped in a towel the warmth will help her relax and the egg should come away naturally.

You can also very carefully put some Vaseline around her vent to help the egg slip out.

Give her some tepid water with plenty of sugar in it.

I’m afraid it's all I can advise at this stage.

I hope she recovers please let us know how you get on.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 17:50 »
I don't know why she is shaking.  I'd try a little live yogurt in case she's a bit calcium deficient.  

Calcium deficiency can cause muscle weakness.  Could  be why she couldn't push the egg out.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 22:14 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I don't know why she is shaking.  I'd try a little live yogurt in case she's a bit calcium deficient.  

Calcium deficiency can cause muscle weakness.  Could  be why she couldn't push the egg out.

Thats what I wondered? -does she have access to oyster grit or limestone powder? Another good supplement is "calcivet" a calcuim supplement. As well you could add a teaspoon of codliver oils to mixed corn once a week which would aid the absorption of key minerals and vits needed for egg laying. I also use "poultry boost" rountinely for pullets about to come into lay.
Hope this makes sense, have had a few bevvies tonight!!!! :?  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 22:17 »
Makes perfic sence Foxy  :drunken:

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 22:26 »
thanks Auntie -thought I was drinking pop -but was raher strong Margueritas from sainsburys -looked like lemonade to me though.....(hic!) :shock: very nice! But think I need to go the bed now.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 22:30 »
Night dear  :D

aspirant

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 09:11 »
Thanks everyone for the advice and support.

Our birds eat good quality layers pellets and have access to grit and oystershell. The egg was on its way out when we found her but since her trip to the vet we have been keeping an eye out for another one in case it happens again.

I spoke to the vet yesterday and she suspects it was simply the large size of the egg and the fact it was Henrietta's first one that caused the problem. She suspects the shaking and difficulty walking are due to nerve damage and has reassured me that Hennrietta is not likely to produce another egg for a few weeks. She is improving slowly and is able to walk a short way now, we will keep her indoors at night and let her forage with her friends outside if the weather is warm enough. Hopefully she will make a full recovery.

One good thing to come out of all this is that she is now very tame and chuckles away to us when we come downstairs in the mornings!    :D

aspirant

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 09:15 »
I can also report that my first attempt at bathing a hen went very well - good job too as Henrietta make a rather pongy houseguest!   :roll:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 09:27 »
I'm delighted she is picking up and it will be great when she can go back with friends full time.

aspirant

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 09:32 »
Thanks, hope it won't be too long until she can. We were pleased to see that despite her disability there was no sign of bullying and a couple of her friends even cuddled up to her in the sunshine.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33 »
Wonderful news aspirant  :D

aspirant

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 11:14 »
I'm pleased to report that Henrietta is fully recovered now and living back with the gang outside. We are so pleased as we were sure she wouldn't make it at first. We think she is also back into the swing of laying eggs too.

Vember

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 11:16 »
That's fab news aspirant :D

Any chance of a photo :?

Sarah :)

xx
How to build your own incubator - an ongoing story....

Started by Daemo on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 15:41
by Zeph
xx
egg bound

Started by chicklit on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 12:59
by chicklit
question
Egg Bound

Started by Prod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 11:56
by kegs
xx
egg bound

Started by andrewandkaren on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 13:44
by hotterotter

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.