New Zealand Flax advice please

• 3 Replies

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
New Zealand Flax advice please
« on: March 07, 2011, 18:10 »
I have a New Zew Zealand Flax which over the past few years has got rather larger than I'd like it to be.

This winter it seems to have suffered and the leaves become very limp and drooped.  It doesn't seem to have gone soggy in the middle however (unlike my cordyline).

I'm assuming that the flax will pick up but this seems to be an opportunity to trim it back and get rid of any excess leaves and generally reduce its size.

Advice on how I go about it would be gratefully received.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New Zealand Flax advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 18:40 »
I don't know about specifics, but on this weekend's local radio gardening show, most of the questions were about plants which were sorry for themselves after the winter, and the general advice for tidying / pruning them was to wait until the end of the month or early April.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 18:42 »
I think it's more than pruning - it's more a case of digging/splitting the roots I think!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 18:51 »
I think it's more than pruning - it's more a case of digging/splitting the roots I think!

Old leaves can be cut right back with a very sharp knife; when it comes to "propagation" (for whatever reason) it can certainly be done with a sharp spade. It's normally done in autumn to allow the plant time to settle/root before winter but I don't see why it wouldn't work in spring once it warms up a bit so long as it gets a bit of TLC (the belt-and-braces solution would be to replant a new piece and let it establish before digging up the old one.)

(My neighbour has done this more than once in the 12 years I have been living here.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Composting Flax

Started by Veg Plot 1B on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post September 11, 2018, 13:19
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
New Zealand Flatworm

Started by WG. on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 15:06
by WG.
xx
New zealand cabbage tree

Started by Stree on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 15:37
by Stree
xx
please may i have advice

Started by karlooben on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post May 12, 2009, 20:59
by karlooben

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 39 queries.