Weed killing at this time of year.

• 5 Replies

ambodach

Weed killing at this time of year.
« on: November 22, 2014, 16:40 »
This year we moved the vegetable growing from one 30m x 10m area to a similar sized area at the other side of the house so that the original area could be added into the 'relaxing' garden.

The plot in question has laid fallow all summer - concentrating on other things and then moving two beehives. 

As you can guess there's a fair weed concentration to be got rid of; do I strim heavily and put the cultivator over it or apply weed killer (glyphosate) - everything must go and I would prefer to do it now rather than allow more unwanted plant establishment!!

At the moment my thinking is to put down most of this new area to grass and work out the beds, etc. as we go.

I'm just outside Edinburgh.

Thanks
Rob

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Weed killing at this time of year.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 17:24 »
Mostly weeds have stopped growing enough to take up weedkiller, so that might not be effective.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

grinling

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 18:02 »
dig them up

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 20:36 »
I wouldn't use weedkiller at this time - the chances of having dry weeds to apply it to, and staying dry for 6+ hours, are slim.

Either cover or dig.  I wouldn't rotavate either if there are any perennial weeds in there - you'll just chop the weeds up into lots of smaller bits  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 10:24 »
I would use weedkiller if the cost is reasonable (you have some lying around, for example).  Effect will be modest at this time of year, but better than nothing.  Then I would cover to stop anything growing / germinating over winter.  If you have manure available I would add a generous layer and then put the cover over the lot and leave the worms to do some work over winter.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 16:48 »
I would use weedkiller if the cost is reasonable (you have some lying around, for example).  Effect will be modest at this time of year, but better than nothing.  Then I would cover to stop anything growing / germinating over winter.  If you have manure available I would add a generous layer and then put the cover over the lot and leave the worms to do some work over winter.

If you do use weedkiller, don't cover immediately or the plant's systems will shut down and the weedkiller will be ineffective.

moved
MOVED: Cover after weed killing

Started by New shoot on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post May 24, 2023, 07:47
by New shoot
clip
Mass weed killing ahead of flattening and lawning

Started by Emma Fletcher on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 19:50
by jezza
xx
Aphids at this time of year??

Started by Yana on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 22:54
by Yana
xx
Best time of year to grass my paths?

Started by RJR_38 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 20:38
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 36 queries.