No dig advice

• 11 Replies

Wellington

• Experienced Member
No dig advice
« on: February 07, 2020, 18:36 »
I have been having lots of fun learning all about no-dig, and it sounds very interesting. I’m going to give it a go on the new plot. I’m slightly confused about the cardboard, though.

Is the idea to plant into the compost on top of the cardboard, or through it?  I know things with robust roots like squashes will be fine, but what about onions sets, and direct sowings like carrots?  I usually grow most things in modules anyway, which I think will make it easier later on in the year.

snowdrops

Re: No dig advice
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 19:37 »
Yes plant into the compost mulch on top of the cardboard, if it’s a very dry time of year wet the cardboard first thoroughly before covering with the mulch. You only need the cardboard to exclude the light from the weeds if you have any. If it’s weed free you can miss out the cardboard. If you’re putting cardboard down now it will soon get wet. Remember to trample the mulch down to firm it well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 21:51 »
I did not use cardboard because my ground was relatively weed free so I just made up some framing where I wanted my beds to be and then covered the soil with a layer of compost then sowed and planted into it. My soil is quite heavy so it had been opened up a bit with a fork and some compost was worked into it before I dressed the top over.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 22:22 »
Thank you. We have weeds, we need cardboard!  It’s recycling day on Tuesday, so I’m off scrounging.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:56 »
Try bike shops, they have huge boxes, leave your name & tel. Number with them so they can contact you, they have to pay to get rid of it, plus shops in your town, you’ll need to spend some time removing staples & tape but it’ll be worth it. Make sure you overlap it as you lay it on the ground, plus if you get plenty you can do a couple of layer at this time of year.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 22:19 »
Yes, we have a Halfords locally, so I’m planning to go and talk nicely to them this week (I shall cheat and take my daughter to ask them!). I do have some of the moving boxes left in the garage, too, so that will be a start (I got rid of loads, though. I’m kicking myself now!). There will be someone roundabout having a new kitchen or some such, if I keep an eye out on recycling day (which is tomorrow, so cross your fingers for no rain, as I will only get them in the car with the roof down, much to my daughter’s delight). The plot is all tucked in under plastic at the moment, so that should be making a start (or it was, pre-Dennis. I haven’t had a chance to get up and check on it since)  the compost will be ready in a couple of weeks, so I’m raring to go. Just need some settle weather, really.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:37 »
Garden centres are another good source or some supermarkets but you usually have to ring & ‘order’ them

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 22:17 »
My cousin had acres of cardboard when she had her kitchen fitted in the summer. I’m thinking of asking Hammonds. To think of all the stuff I sent to recycling when we moved, what with the boxes and the new beds and what-have-you from Ikea. There was very little plastic, it was all vast sheets of cardboard. And I recycled it!

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 18:47 »
Where about sin the East Midlands are you? Hammonds factory is in Hinckley,just down the road from me.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:05 »
I’m in Bagworth near Coalville now, but from Stoney Stanton originally.  My Dad is still in Hinckley, so I’m over there often. I’m hoping Hammonds will fit my kitchen, but I’m a further off that than I would like to be.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 17:48 »
Ok, my son has lots of cardboard from his house renovations I’ll let you know if it’s going spare, I was intending using some on my no dig plot but it’s not really necessary as it is comparatively weed free so not a necessity I just like to exclude light under the mulch if I can.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 10:49 »
Thank you, that’s very kind.

xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs
xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
looking for advice

Started by joegray on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 08:23
by diospyros
xx
PSB advice please

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2023, 18:22
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 40 queries.