Clay Soil

• 40 Replies

willnbirdie

• Experienced Member
Clay Soil
« on: February 17, 2010, 20:37 »
Hi

We have worked our allotment for 2 years now and we still have one area of the garden with soil so clay-like after the recent rain that I could have hired a potters wheel and been well away!!!!

Can anyone please enlighten me as the best way to improve this patch of soil - we have added well rotted manure in previous seasons but would be interested if there are any other ideas that we could try this year.

Thanks for you help

willnbirdie

gardener247

• Experienced Member
Re: Clay Soil
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 21:00 »
llots of sand did the trick for me its nice and friable now... oh and lots and lots of manure :D

raymo1

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 22:15 »
Hi, Iv'e got the same problem. What sort of sand do you recommend? Thanks for any help.
Best Wishes,Raymo

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 22:28 »
i used ordinary builders sand cause it was cheap but sharp sand might be better

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 23:07 »
I would say that it must be sharp sand (or horticultural sand if you've got £££s). This is gritty and will improve drainage, whereas builders sand is much smoother, will compact more readily and will not achieve the desired effect so efficiently (if at all). I used sharp sand as a 4" mulch, it kept the weeds at bay for a season, then got dug in during normal winter digging.

SS

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 23:08 »
yes ss is probably right i dont stand on my soil which makes it okay

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 00:48 »
Also plant a green manure crop on off seasons, something like grazing rye or buckwheat, etc. Their roots break up the soil nicely  and you simply leave the dead stalks on the ground then later rotovate them in. Broken straw is also good fiber for the soil.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25 »
I would say that it must be sharp sand (or horticultural sand if you've got £££s). This is gritty and will improve drainage, whereas builders sand is much smoother, will compact more readily and will not achieve the desired effect so efficiently (if at all). I used sharp sand as a 4" mulch, it kept the weeds at bay for a season, then got dug in during normal winter digging.

SS

But any sand is better than no sand if that's all you've got - as it is clay we are trying to add drainage to.

Swing Swang

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:53 »
Sorry Zazen999 but I'd disagree with your last comment - if I could only get builders' sand I'd reject it in favour of rotted manure/compost and take the long view. If you really compact builders' sand then water will puddle on it, whereas if you compact sharp sand/horticultural grit it won't. Adding tonnes of sand to you soil is a permanent alteration, and if you get it wrong you won't be able to undo your mistake.

SS

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:55 »
Sorry Zazen999 but I'd disagree with your last comment - if I could only get builders' sand I'd reject it in favour of rotted manure/compost and take the long view. If you really compact builders' sand then water will puddle on it, whereas if you compact sharp sand/horticultural grit it won't. Adding tonnes of sand to you soil is a permanent alteration, and if you get it wrong you won't be able to undo your mistake.

SS

Sorry, but I disagree. If you have clay soil and you want to add drainage; any sand is better than no sand. You won't be puddling on it as it gets distributed and adds much needed air pockets and drainage. I have spent 14 years as a materials engineer testing soils and they do not behave the same way once mixed with other materials.

If you reject the sand, in favour of manure - can I have it?

WARDDRU

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 17:01 »
Hi,
    I used Agricultural Gypsum and it worked a treat. Have since found a bulk supplier called Rootwise. Lots of info on the web regarding this product.

www.rootwise.co.uk
                                     Regards Steve.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 20:59 »
Can anyone please enlighten me as the best way to improve this patch of soil - we have added well rotted manure in previous seasons but would be interested if there are any other ideas that we could try this year.
willnbirdie
Been there and suffered that - you describe one half of my plot exactly. At the end of the first season, I took the hard way and double dug it in autumn and added some tonnage of manure and also sharp sand in the worst places. It improved it quite a lot but certainly didn't cure it for the next season. Second year I dug in green manure and added spent compost. It has had more spent compost and the addition of a large compost heap this winter. After three years it is beginning to be less like potters clay and more like soil.

Spent compost, home made compost and green manures are the cheapest options I can offer. The more manure you can gather if it's free the better. If it's as good a patch of potters clay as mine - well we are both looking at five years work realistically. At least it's not all the plot is it? That's the only good thing that comes to mind.

This is one of those things with allotments, you can spend time sorting out things that the previous tenants haven't done or didn't know how to do. The longer you have your plot, the better the improvements you can make.  :D

It will take more than a year to improve this patch of soil.

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 21:30 »
OK Zazen999 I'll defer to your experience, but I'd want to experiment with it first before using it myself.

SS

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 14:47 »
We have heavy clay. I've made "lazy beds" - poor-mans-raised beds, 4' wide, soil from the paths in between heaped onto the beds.  lower paths provide some run-off drainage. Rotavated the whole lot on Day 1, have done a bit of rotavating (with Mantis), and each year have put plenty of well rotted manure on (except the area for Roots). Other than planting and harvesting its had no further digging. I think the soil is surprisingly good already; the raised part of the beds has never been walked on. Haven't added any sand (reason = cost)

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 20:01 »
OK Zazen999 I'll defer to your experience, but I'd want to experiment with it first before using it myself.

SS
Thats the way to go. Sharp sand is far more grity and break's the clay down well. Soft sand (used for laying bricks) holds water as it is far more dense than sharp sand. Add growmore, sharp sand and see how you get on..... :) :)
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

xx
help with very wet clay soil

Started by criostoirmac on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 19:20
by criostoirmac
xx
hello & clay soil

Started by colonel mustard on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2011, 22:35
by Kajazy
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.