« on: August 16, 2018, 15:47 »
if all menus were as clear as this?  :lol:
39257882_1852714598143588_6058813560199315456_n.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Wouldn't it be nice
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 16:08 »
Yes, Yes and thrice Yes!  :lol:

Am totally fed up with having to frantically scan the menu, then sometimes ending up asking for an 'ordinary' coffee in a small, apologetic voice. (Bill Bryson wrote memorably about the same frustration in one of his earlier books.)

As for being asked 'Would you like a cake or muffin with that?', the answer is the coldest stare I can muster!  :mad:

It would also be nice if a 'regular' (i.e. smallest) coffee was actually less than half a gallon (I can only drink so much of even a good mug of coffee.  :wacko:)

Thanks Mum, rant over (for now!)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 19:44 »
It would be nicer if it just read "coffee". 

I've been known to simply respond "in a mug" when ask how I would like my coffee, I once told a customer "NATO standard" when asked she gave me a really funny look  :nowink:

hamstergbert

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 22:12 »
"NATO standard" was always my own preferred term for what I wanted too!  (perhaps " norme OTAN" when in France...?)

Problem was that I'm guessing it aint what it used to be - as a young rating NATO standard meant 'white, two sugars' but by cashiering time twenty years later it had mutated into 'white with one'.   Heaven knows what it is now a further thirty years later.   Probably green with aubergine foam.

Arty-pharty names for the varieties aside, I for one heartily approve of the high street coffee revolution - the idea of paying for a cup of grey looking (and tasting) instant Maxwell House nowadays (which was the bog standard in most provincial cafes back in the fifties and sixties) serves as a reminder that not all nostalgia is rosy!

Incidentally the descriptions are probably slightly suspect - a "flat white" is in reality often a cappuccino made by some spotty teenage 'barrista' who hasn't grasped the concept of frothing the milk properly....  and I seem to have heard that a genuine 'Americano' comes from a filter and has been nowhere near an espresso machine...   

It is perhaps silly thinking about where these coffees emerge from when they are inevitably going to be less disgusting than where the stupidly expensive Kopi Luwak beans emerged from....
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:10 »
That is how it should be  :D  I have a friend who drinks coffee (I have tea)  I always say to the assistant, you had better ask her, I don't understand it.   The thing is I don't think my friend gets it either,  she always replies,  Oh just coffee with some milk.   -   Yes Madam, but do you want, frothy milk, hot milk, cold milk etc.
I'll stick to me tea thanks.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 14:27 »
I am so unknowledgeable about all the different types of coffee because I just like an ordinary mug of tea.  Today I went into a café and asked for an ordinary coffee with milk and sugar. The reply was " Is that a black coffee or white"?  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

wighty

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 19:19 »
I get really cross when I order a 'black coffee' and then get asked if I want milk or cream in it!  If I'm feeling a bit narked I say 'do you want me to throw up on your floor?  I can't have dairy, that's why I asked for a black coffee!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 11:16 »
You'd think they'd have enough sense to realise that if you ask for black coffee, then you really don't want milk or cream in it - wouldn't you?  ::)

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 17:22 »
I get really cross when I order a 'black coffee' and then get asked if I want milk or cream in it!  If I'm feeling a bit narked I say 'do you want me to throw up on your floor?  I can't have dairy, that's why I asked for a black coffee!
Keeps happening to me, too.  What is so difficult to understand about black coffee being just that ....... black coffee!!!!  I can have dairy, but after giving up milk in drinks some while ago, it now smells likes goats to me, and I don't have it in either tea or coffee.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 18:33 »
Think I know the answer to this one!  :wub:

It's not the policy of coffee companies (and others) to encourage their employees to do anything off-message like taking a real interest in their customers, or even concentrate too hard on what they actually ordered (makes it more difficult to sell them an add-on!)

Enjoy the rest of your day (sincerely! :lol:)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 20:51 »
Could you just say “black coffee,no milk thank you”.
Hubby gets cross when ordering an espresso to be told expresso is only small you know!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
you wouldn't believe it

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post April 01, 2020, 12:12
by mrs bouquet
xx
Treat yourself to anything nice lately?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 15:52
by Christine
clip
Sometimes it's nice to enjoy the view . . .

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2021, 17:20
by Goosegirl
xx
nice to be back on site

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2018, 09:43
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 51 queries.