holidays - Help Needed

• 5 Replies

shellymobs

holidays - Help Needed
« on: June 04, 2013, 23:01 »
Hi everyone, I am quite new to hen keeping but before I got my set up I looked into  things like who would look after my chooks when I go away. Things have not worked out and I am stuck, we have a two week holiday booked in the summer and no one to look after them. I contacted a local firm who hensit but they are away the same weeks as myself. does anyone know of a hen sitting / boarding service in the Barnsley area? or put me in the right direction. Thankyou  :(

compostqueen

Re: holidays - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 23:48 »
Gosh that's a problem as you need to have someone look after them for you. If you ask round locally, or stick an ad in the paper shop window, you might find someone willing to look after them for the eggs  :) 

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03 »
What about neighbours/work colleagues etc or have you eliminated them already? Are there allotments near by with chicken keepers who could help. Is your run moveable?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:49 »
Hi Shellymobs....I used a hen-sitter who lives in the Skelmanthorpe area which is the Barnsley side of Huddersfield...maybe she's free.  Step-in pet services, if you have a look at her website.  Couldnt fault the service I was given, morning, afternoon and bed time visits each day for my 5 hens, and cat, and not badly priced at all.  She has a farming background, so knows what she's doing. Dont know how far she'd be prepared to travel, but like I say, she is the Barnsley side of Huddersfield.  Good luck.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 15:31 »
Try talking to your neighbours - parents of little 'uns like to show them how to care for animals, older people may like pets but not keep any, teenagers may do it for a bit of cash.

Our neighbours keep asking when we're going away next as the love coming in twice a day & having the eggs, although they don't want to commit to having their own all the time - in fact there's at least 3 families who happily take over for our weekends or weeks away!!

If not, your local vet might know a reliable animal-mad teen who would jump at the chance.

At least with chickens, there's a tangible reward as well as the pleasure of interacting with animals.
ManicMum

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 15:34 »
I had a panic about this last year.  Found someone eventually but auto pop hole and treadle feeder makes life much easier.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

xx
Urgent Help needed

Started by Laura020101 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 20:54
by NormandyMary
xx
Reassurance needed!!

Started by redspookycooky on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 14:33
by Casey76
xx
Building a coop, a little help needed please.

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 13:05
by andreadon
xx
different breeds info needed please

Started by willyhorton on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 14:03
by willyhorton

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.