Cucumbers anyone?

• 24 Replies

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: Cucumbers anyone?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 19:12 »
I've had only a total of 8 off my 3 pot/greenhouse plants, but more than 20 cues so far off one Akito planted in a sheltered space outside in manure on the plot.... :ohmy: They are quite think-skinned so I'll be trying another variety next year.
DSC_0265.jpg

kirpi

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 19:18 »
As soon as Cucumbers go into glut mode, they are half price in the supermarkets so I'm not bothering with Qs next year - they don't taste any different.

AnneB

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 19:21 »
My outdoor Early Fortune didn't survive the transplant.  However the one in the polytunnel has done very well.  So far I have had 6 from it and there are several sizeable ones still to pick.   They taste very good indeed and seem to keep for a lot longer than shop bought ones.   The outdoor baby bush plant I bought from Aldi has been a disappointment.  It looks healthy enough but only produced 3 gherkins so far.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 19:58 »
As soon as Cucumbers go into glut mode, they are half price in the supermarkets so I'm not bothering with Qs next year - they don't taste any different.
Mine taste so much fresher - I love them :)

Mr Dog

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 21:13 »
....- they don't taste any different.

I've always found that home grown ones actually taste unlike almost all supermarket ones

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 21:37 »
they don't taste any different.

I couldn't taste any difference between a supermarket cuke and a Carmen F1 cuke. I think a lot is down to variety. The inznik I grew this year had some taste to them.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40 »
I've had only a total of 8 off my 3 pot/greenhouse plants, but more than 20 cues so far off one Akito planted in a sheltered space outside in manure on the plot.... :ohmy: They are quite think-skinned so I'll be trying another variety next year.

La Diva is thin skinned and is very, very happy outdoors. I don't give mine any shelter and they are about 6ft at the moment. Tasty cukes too.

Robster

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 12:47 »
Cucumbers.  Only grown Marketmore and have the last of them in a cold frame to hopefully prolong the season.  Picked small and full of flavour.  I'm with Devonbarmygardner, its not about economy it's all about taste

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 13:23 »
Grew telegraph this year have 2 lots of 2 plants  planted in a 15 ltr plastic waste bin, water via a empty tonic water bottle cut the bottom off and dig the screw end into the compost to stop the stem rotting, now on cucumber overload, friends and neighbours avoiding me  :blush: so far 30 picked and 20 still on the plant chutney and relish recipe 50 time me thinks  :lol:
:D I garden therefore I am

Mrs Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 16:46 »
I'm with DBG too.

Although I am being bullied by the bags of gherkins and cucumbers that MR Bee is bringing in with him every couple of days, it isn't about economy it is about the taste.

I have found that the home grown ones taste far different to the supermarket ones. Our ones taste far more cucumbery rather than watery with a little cucumber taste.

The skin in a little thicker and some have bigger seeds, but we much prefer the taste.
And the supermarket ones may be cheap now, but they aren't as cheap as the packet of seeds.

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 13, 2010, 14:10
by spottymint
xx
no cucumbers

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 21, 2014, 12:37
by mumofstig
xx
cucumbers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 22:31
by DD.

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 29 queries.