New Here

• 5 Replies

sebbie

New Here
« on: April 16, 2006, 18:43 »
Hi,  I have my name down for an allotment but no idea how long it will take to get one.  In the mean time I'm planning to grow some veg in the back garden.  I am starting a bit late due to my charming young children spreading nasty germs around the family.  Any suggestions for what seeds I should be planting now?  Also what might be fun for my five year old daughter?  I'm in Teesside so we've only started to warm up in the last week.

Sarah

Rural Living

• http://www.conwy-valley.org.uk
New Here
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 20:49 »
Hi, You are not late, I have only just started to sow and plant up this week, the soil where I live has been too cold. (North Wales). I have planted leeks in trays last week and they are just coming through, I have lettuce in trays again planted last week. The only things in the ground are early potatoes and onion sets I planted this weekend.  I would go to your local seed suppliers and grow what you like to eat. When our children were young we use to give them things like radish which mature quickly and keeps their attention, then add them to salad so they feel they have contributed, we also use to let them grow mustard and cress on the window sill to inspire them, perhaps also some lettuce. They use to also always help with collecting the produce, our daughter still grows today, at 30. Hope this helps

Dean

• http://www.laytolose.co.uk
New Here
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 18:05 »
I think Rural has got it spot on for your daughter - quick growing; shows results really quickly.

What worked well for our son when he was 7 was a spud that had chitted in our vegetable basket when it went overlooked. He put it in a 10 in pot and was amazed that one potato turned into loads of other potatoes - takes a long time tho...

Sadly, now at 23 he hasn't got the gardening bug at all; but I was a late developer myself  :D

sebbie

New Here
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 14:47 »
Well we've had a success with Okra which germinated in a couple of days - hope I can keep it going on the windowsill.  Will try radish and if we have spuds that last long enough to sprout will give that a try too.

thanks

sarah

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
New Here
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 15:11 »
we have an 8 foot runner bean growing in the bay window in the flat as a way of keeping my landlord happy about all the seedtrays i have every where, we have even named it giles after him.

Jake

• Rockers
New Here
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 18:58 »
Quote from: "sebbie"
Well we've had a success with Okra which germinated in a couple of days - hope I can keep it going on the windowsill.  Will try radish and if we have spuds that last long enough to sprout will give that a try too.

thanks

sarah

Hello

What do you use Okra for? I have tried it, I cut it up and put it into spagetti bologniase (Sp?), the flavour of the sauce probably overpowered it and thats the only time I've tried it that I know of.

I've seen Asian people buying it often which suggests to me that it could be used in something interesting.

My most recently discovered Veg is fennel, I love it and am germinating some seeds at the moment. Very good with fish.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.