What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today

• 400 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did in the Greenhouse or Polytunnel today
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 17:31 »
I thought it was cold in there last night when I looked this morning Id left the window open all night  :ohmy:  >:(

Still not a lot to do, sowed some butternut squash, sunshine and crown prince watered the dry cells and shouted at the chocolate habanero, physalis , pepino , black cherry, fandango and roma seeds, still no sign of any of them.  :mad:

Started tube grafting,

Ferline onto Arnold
California wonder (sweet pepper) onto Ferline
Brandy wine onto Russian Black

I was using one of those snappable craft knife blades but wasn't doing to well, so smashed my way into a BIC orange disposable and the blade in that was scary sharp but much more suitable for the job.  :D Everything is in the healing chamber now - exciting.

LilacSandy

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 19:34 »
Now the new greenhouse is up I am franticly moving everything from the house onto the staging, managed to pot on 70 cauliflower seedlings and some pot marigolds,  Have another load of different cauliflowers to pot on together with two varieties of Brussels, really interested to see what the difference in tomatoes will be this year.

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2014, 12:09 »
Took this piccy...v pleased with first year in PT so far!
image.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 10:25 »
Tis a thing of beauty adri123, wish I had the space for something that size.

snowdrops

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27 »
That does look good. I'm a bit worried by the close proximity of the tops of the canes to the plastic or is it an optical illusion?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 11:11 »
Ok so the toms are all out on their own. Lettuce are growing so fast its a daily change

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 18:33 »
Discovered a slimey that had found a high level hiding place- that explains my bad germination PSB issue  :nowink:
Otherwise did the slidey puzzle thing to fit even more in  :tongue2:

Lardman

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 19:33 »
Still nothing really to do, played the sliding block game with the trays - always fun.

The fandango and black cherry toms have germinated as have lots of the physalis which isn't bad considering they were saved from bought fruit 2 years ago.  Potted on the black from tula and put some aubergine seeds in to try and graft.

Still not sure if I should try growing cukes / melons in the bottom greenhouse or keep them all in the top one  :unsure:  but need to make a decision soon as things are starting to put tendrils  :)

Nothing seems to have wilted yet in the healing chamber  :ohmy: another couple of days and I should be able to tell if the grafts have taken.

Scattered a few blue pellets as something has been munching on my strawbs  :mad:

Lardman

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 15:02 »
Trying to avoid doing some work this afternoon  ::) Potted on the cukes , iznik, la diva, carmen all doing well - miniture white seems a little slower. Melons and cucamelons also on the slow side. Potted on a few of the brandy wine and black prince toms, the rest can stay in cell trays for a bit.  Juggled things around again , I really should stop sowing a tray of seed when I want just 1-2 of a plant.

Some of the toms and peppers are showing signs of nutrient deficiency already :mad: not impressed with the compost this year at all, that's less than a month for some of the plants. Will give them a feed to pep them up a bit as it's going to be a few weeks still before they're big enough to be put out.

Sprayed the strawbs as they were covered with greenfly which seem to have appeared from nowhere overnight.  :wacko:

The carrots in the top GH border have started to germinate  :)

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 16:41 »
Pinched off the first flower from a chilli plant. 

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 17:32 »
Tidied, sowed and kept out of the rain! Started to realise with all the stuff in there either germinating or being kept warm (mostly under fleece and bubble wrap as it's not heated)! that i'll run out of space on the shelves before it all goes outside onto the plot... Mike... hurry up and finish the new cold frame please!
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2014, 19:30 »
The only thing Mike & I did in the greenhouse today was use it as a shelter from the rain!

Lardman

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 13:13 »
Potted on 1 each of the inzik and la diva cukes. I've held the others back as the larger pots/plants wont fit inside the cold frame over night ... just incase  ;) Potted on the mini-white, they really are slow compared to the F1 varieties. Final potting on of my arnold donor plant, I'll root the side shoots as Im out of seeds. Split some canes for the Cucamelon as they're still in 4" pots but were grabbing things.

Started thinking about plant supports, since I've shorten the bench I can now get another 4 pots in on the sides, Im considering growing the cukes there and up and over rather than up a mesh trellis in the middle.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 17:55 »
My spare room seems to have become a very full 'heated greenhouse' whilst the cold snap moves through  :tongue2:  I'm ok if I keep the door closed, the family will never know...... shhhhhh...... :wub:
On the other hand, the extra shelf space I 'found' (think very large white magnetic pin board on a keyboard stand!) opens up all sorts of possibilities for next year  :D

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 19:51 »
It's a risk but I'm not moving anything from the PT during the cold snap.  Banking on my heat sinks seeing things through with their thermal mass.

Hacked away at the Capsicum Annuums today taking off the heads and some leaves to see if it promotes bushiness...either that or kill em...

xx
Greenhouse or Polytunnel?

Started by Clarky86 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2017, 21:13
by grinling
xx
Polytunnel or Greenhouse

Started by ches on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2019, 08:38
by sunshineband
xx
Re: in the Polytunnel and Greenhouse

Started by Whatalottie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 12:01
by Green man
xx
Polytunnel vs greenhouse.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 00:54
by John

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 56 queries.