wooden pallets

• 215 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: wooden pallets
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2011, 22:06 »
Oooh some very clever ideas there!  I've also seen a "free pellets" sign nearby so I might have to fetch some home.  No trailer though so it will just be what I can squeeze into my 1985 corona hatch.  :lol:

grendel

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2011, 22:13 »
take a saw, then you can cut them down if they are too big to fit in your car.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2011, 22:23 »
If you can find the cheap pallets these are the ones with wood on just one side, these tend to come apart very easy

lay a piece of wood on the ground and then lay the pallet upside down on top of this kneel on the upside down pallet and hit the rails off one at a time hitting as close to the main rails as possible. What tends to happen on the cheap ones is that the nails pull through and stay in the main rails.

grendel

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2011, 19:47 »
built a second bench seat at my other plot tonight.
Grendel
IMG_0660small.jpg

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2011, 00:25 »
My new archway, all the top is pallet! :)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2011, 07:40 »
That is brilliant A. Fallowfield. You have given me an idea for my second plot! I was lucky this week as the factory opposite were having a spring clean of there wood stores and now I have again in my possession several pallets to do with what I like.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2011, 08:40 »
That looks very like the rose arch I made from a broken trellis panel and some pallet wood when I fist moved here ............mine was stained bright blue (tin was mislabelled and I couldn't be bother to take it back :nowink: )
But now the roses have grown up it, I've grown to like the colour :D

grantgee

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2011, 08:13 »
The Blue pallets are GKN's and as stated earlier belong to specific companies. Be careful because they actually have spotters out checking for people using them all over the country and there was a programme on TV about these a few years back... I am unsure wether you can be prosecuted for using them but i know the companies can just take them back and if broken down they can make you pay for them so just be careful.. I know this because luckily where i work we have an endless supply of good, bad and ugly pallets that we allow our employees to use once we are finished with them. I would love to offer them out here but we have a "only for Employees policy" which is a shame.

Hope this helps and stops anyone possibly getting into trouble.

Grant

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2011, 08:42 »
Just to clarify...........I painted the arch blue, I didn't use blue pallets ;)

Rene

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2011, 22:35 »
cheers everyone I have a few pallets and wondered how to get them apart and son not turned up to help, but will manage somehow now my ground work is almost completed. I want to make a frame to grow butternut squash as googled last year, they say cover the frame with a lid covered in polythene and lifts the lid through the hot days, i got lots of poly tunnel polythene left over from my home made wooden greenhouse. i guess if i cut thein m half and fill in the gaps with either poly or another plank for the sides. I also work in head office for a company who has build,plumb, parts, timber centers all over the UK and beyond WOw there is a yard of ours next door with plies of the things, i will have to goa nd seen the cheif in there for a few more. thanks again for the info

Moonchild isme

krystal

« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2011, 13:42 »
Thank you got 19 pallets today to strip and make a fence ( well hubby will  :tongue2:) thank you i love this site gives you so many ideas
Mum to 2 girls and 1 boy, wife, a border collie blur murl, a rabbit, 10 chickens and 1 cockrel, and 3 fish.

JohnB

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2011, 15:13 »
  I make some wood stores out of pallets. 2 on the bottom 2 up the sides screwed to the bottom ones and string/rope accross the top. You can replace the string latter with battens but not till afterwards as you will constantly bang your head otherewise. Also started with just using them for kindling but I soon had enough for a few years then I decide like a lot of people on this forum to cut them into as long a length as possible without overdoing the work IE cut inside the first cross peice at each end then pull or and use a crowbar. You can of course still cut them into kindling but theres the option of using them for something else like the walls of a shed? or as I did recently to repair shed roof. How about bird boxes? A outside bench or table (might be pushing it there). Anyone with any other ideas? 

JohnB

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2011, 15:21 »
  I occasionaly carry them home on my bicyle trailer have to use the single wheeled one and carry only 2 at a time (depending on the weight). Not as I expected very wobbly as long as you don't get lazy and put too many on.

JohnB

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2011, 15:26 »
   Most pallets are really not designed to be reused and if you can find a place where they get deliverys on pallets you will probably find yourself with a near infinate amount. The person who fitted my wood burner gets all his firewood from pallets and he gets them from the firm who supplied my wood burner. They have a skip outside and they never have to empty it as he and others empty it for them. All the stoves arrive come on non reusable pallets. Pity it is 20 odd miles away!!!

A. Fallowfield

« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2011, 18:24 »
An old work mate of mine manufactures a pallet wrecking bar, amongst other things!
See:
ipQLy-0Pfag

xx
Wooden Pallets

Started by Chris Toker on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2008, 09:59
by Code Numpty
xx
more pallets

Started by doctorangler on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 18:42
by arugula
xx
Anyone know where I can get some pallets from?

Started by mandycharlie on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 19:28
by muntjac
clip
Pallets-R-Us...

Started by Growster... on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 10:39
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.