onion sets

• 3 Replies

czpool

onion sets
« on: August 17, 2008, 12:20 »
Having failed miserably in my attempts to grow onions from seed on my plot I have been told about onion sets but being a novice numpty I don't have a clue how they work.. So I would be grateful if one of you experienced allotmenteers could explain them to me in language that an idiot could understand.  If I planted onion seeds indoors and grew them on would they become onion sets or do I have to buy them from a garden shop.  any info on onion sets or growing onions would be gratefully recieved.   :?
USUALLY HELPFUL, SOMETIMES GRATEFUL, ALWAYS HOPEFUL

Hampshire Hog

onion sets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 13:39 »
You can create your own sets from seed but I would suggest you start by getting some commercially grown ones and planting them next spring. As long as you plant them in good soil and keep well weeded you are likely to get a good crop. If you are starting out I would choose a standard white/ yellow onion rather than red ones which I find less predictable.

Trust this helps  :)

Cheers HH
Keep digging

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
onion sets
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 13:57 »
Hi czpool! You can either buy onion sets in packets from your local garden centre or buy them mail order from any of the seed/plant companies, eg. Thompson & Morgan, Marshalls or Gardenorganic. I went to buy some from a Notcutts garden centre on Friday and was told I was a bit too early and that they would begin stocking them in about 4 weeks time. These will be autumn planting sets for overwintering. Last year I grew a red onion called 'Electric' and a brown called T&M early, along with garlic 'Wight Cristo' this way. I planted them in October. They weren't hugely successful but I think this was because I grew them in quite a damp part of our plot. This year they'll be going somewhere a bit dryer. Hope this helps!  :)

peterjf

onion sets
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 14:16 »
every time i buy onion set they little beggers go to seed ,

so now i buy onion seeds ,

start them off in seed trays ,

let them grow to 9 inches ,

rake a shallow drill of about 1 inch deep ,

lay the onions about 9 inches apart along the length of the drill and cover the roots about 1/2 inch ,

start watering the young onions every other day ,

the young onions lift themselves up within 2 weeks

and not one has bolted or gone to seed ,G O O D L U C K

xx
onion seeds or onion sets!

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 15, 2007, 17:24
by yummy
xx
Onion sets

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2012, 16:37
by mikegee
xx
onion sets

Started by TRACKS on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 14:32
by gobs
xx
Onion sets?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 22:07
by ConfusedGardener

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 35 queries.