moles
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:38 »
Hi im new to the site but hope will find my way around
i have a question if anybody can help i have moles keep
coming up in my green house any sugestions thanks ray

compostqueen

Re: moles
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 14:00 »
Moles are a pain in the neck!  I put up with them though as I'm soft.  Mole traps scare the beejesus out of me and I fear I'd lose a hand and the mole would still get away scot free so I don't bother with it.  I have tried all sorts from armillatox-soaked teabags pushed down the holes (which moley kind pushed back out)  bottles to make a woooing sound, those tinny silicone chip things out of Christmas cards put down the hole.  I think gassing, trapping, dogs etc might work but frankly I don't want to go there  :) 

They do cause subsidence in your raised beds and their diggings can leave your seeds high and dry but at least they don't eat the crops  :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 14:59 »
I suffered moles for years until I bit the bullet. Now the mole catcher (known locally as the mowdie gadgie) comes every March, always catches at least one and for £30 I'm clear of the blighters for another year

barley

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 21:20 »
were surrounded by fields an if I didn't use traps we would have ruined veg plots every year

they can dig a row of seedlings out with no effort

have caught 3 so far this year

we use mole scissor traps

look for the mole hill and dig it out - you need to find 2 run holes - you need to clear those out and set the trap between the holes - then place some clumps of earth loosely back on top of trap the scissor prongs will be close together and when it trips they will spread apart

if it goes off with no catch always rest asap as it is active in that run

the mole catcher  comes every March, always catches at least one and for £30

OMG last year I caught 7 that would earn me £210 - there so easy to catch using a scissor trap , think I might have a career change  :lol:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 22:07 by barley »

Rayclack

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 19:12 »
Thanks it looks like I will find a mole catcher does the mole hills effect the soil thanks

barley

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 19:20 »
Thanks it looks like I will find a mole catcher does the mole hills effect the soil thanks

oh no the mole hill mixed with compost makes a lovely free planting tilth

next time I have to set a trap I will take pics and post on here so you can see how easy they are to use

£ 30 is extortionate  :ohmy:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 21:17 »
£30 is pretty standard. It covers the month, so if he caught 7 moles in the month it's no additional cost. We have 3 acres so 7 moles is a possibility, although the most he's ever caught is 2

Rayclack

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 21:02 »
Thanks will look foreword to pics

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.