New allotment

• 8 Replies

mdjlucan

New allotment
« on: January 03, 2016, 12:11 »
Hi I wander if you can help me i've got allotment the ground is a bit claye how can I improve the drainage I've got Rasbury Keynes in rhubarb blackcurrant gooseberries how can I break the soil up all Have been put in last year thanks
metal detector man

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: New allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 12:26 »
My allotment soil is clay as well.  The more organic matter you can dig in the better - homemade compost, manure and soil improver made from green waste are all bulky enough to break the soil up, just don't dig them in where you want to grow roots like carrots and parsnips.

Round fruit you have already planted, you can spread any of these as a mulch and the worms will drag it down.  You can also also bark chips, but these take longer to break down and get incorporated.

With all the rain, your soil will be sodden.  Mine is  ::)  Just stay off it and let it dry out before you do anything  :)

al78

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39 »
If, as looks likely, the winter ends up wetter than normal, you will probably be best leaving any digging until it starts to dry out around March, apart from being unpleasant digging saturated soil doesn't do it any good, and you will end up looking like you have been to the Glastonbury festival in a record wet summer.

My allotment is heavy clay, and my plan is to empty the compost bin when it eventually stops raining and spread the contents over some of the beds, then leave it until it gets drier (of course 2006 has to start with a washout weekend  >:(). Some patience is required as heavy soils take longer to dry out so don't rush to get on the plot at the first glimmer of sunshine.

mdjlucan

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51 »
Thank you so much for all your help

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 14:56 »
 :( i don,t want to discourage you but there is no easy way with clay. i,ve being digging mine for 4 years and adding loads of compost and sharp sand. i,m getting there. the good news is that clay holds the minerals etc. plus loads of lime.at the back end. hope this helps you . plus it grows very good brassicas. because of the firm ground  CHEERS WRINKLY1

lettice

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 08:57 »
My Dad has pretty heavy clay soil.
He grows great crops of all kinds in it throughout the year.
What he has done over the years is put in plenty of grit ( the cheap small stuff from diy stores) and plenty of homemade compost.
Try not to walk on clay, get planks down when planting and make a few paths to naviagte the plot.
He has built many raised beds over some of the plot and has great success with those to.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 14:38 »
digin a load of mushroom/muncipal compost if you want to make it fast. otherwise keep adding organic material as you progress the digging.

mdjlucan

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 19:44 »
Went to the allotment today it so wet up there is unbelievable Water is just sitting there round the edge when I'm standing on the grass the mud just comes up above the grass around your feet
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 22:11 by mdjlucan »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 20:55 »
Same on my plot! just need to wait for it to dry out ......

xx
New allotment help

Started by finty22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 14:55
by andreadon
xx
First day on our allotment!

Started by sheridan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 14:45
by sheridan
xx
allotment

Started by superpete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 22:07
by Yorkie
xx
New allotment help

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2015, 12:49
by Ema

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 37 queries.