Water leak

• 19 Replies

jezza

Water leak
« on: November 28, 2021, 19:19 »
Hello got roofers in reroofing for the local council ,scaffolders turned up put scaffolding up asbestos removal people turned up Monday morning took 6 tiles off a man turned up and condemned scaffold as it wasnt far enough across the front of the house asbestos removal people left ,scaffolders returned Monday afternoon extended scaffolding by 18inches ,went to eye clinic  Tuesdsy no asbestos removal,asbestos removal people brought timber and plastic for job Friday afternoon  decided it was to windy Friday night heard a tapping on the scaffolding looked out of the bedroom window at 4am the felt that had been put in place  Monday morning had blown off I put light on and saw water running down the wall 6.30bthe light flashed 5 times and blew the electrics upstairs then the water started pouring through the light fitment   duvet drenched wall paper is hanging off     jezza

snowdrops

Re: Water leak
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 19:42 »
Oh dear, that’s very poor, hope you get dry & reimbursed soon. Will the council pay up?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jezza

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 20:17 »
The council has  a main contractor doing the work, the contractor has sub contracted the asbestos removal and roofing  out ,we will see what happens tomorrow morning when the asbestos removal men return,  jezza

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 00:36 »
What a catalogue of disaster, jessa.  Hope things go better tomorrow.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 09:53 »
Which bright spark though the last week in November was a good time to do work on a roof ?  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 10:40 »
I hope they get it sorted for you soon Jezza.  That sounds like a right proper list of disasters all caused by idiots  >:(

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 12:29 »
the mind boggles I hope you put a good compensation claim in and of cause there are roofers and then there are roofers :D I really hope you get all this sorted out very soon as we could be in for some more stormy weather that won't help matters keep us informed of progress  with the roof and what sort of job they make of it  :unsure:

talking of water leeks I went  round and the other day and turned of all the greenhouse taps including the poly tunnel then put frost proofing  on all the pipes I left one tap not fully covered outside because I use that to top up the fish pond and I could have kicked myself when it froze up on Saturday I'm just concerned when it thaws it mite burst the pipe then I will need to turn of all the water to the  house to repair the pipe
that someone ells in the house won't be very pleased  >:(

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 12:41 »
I could have kicked myself when it froze up on Saturday I'm just concerned when it thaws it mite burst the pipe then I will need to turn of all the water to the  house to repair the pipe
Pipes burst when they freeze - but you only notice it when they thaw out. Give it a look over if it's not bulging and there's no obvious sign of a split hopefully you'll be ok. I've never had a tap go, normally it's the pipe, even more so now given how thin the pipe wall has become.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 13:11 by Lardman »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 10:08 »
In Henry VI, didn't The Bard himself say "The first thing we do, let's fire all the Council"?  Or something like that.

It sounds like the council should have worked out in advance with asbestos removers, roofers, etc. what codes and standards would be followed and make sure that would be followed before tear-down started and left you with a load of leaks! It's unforgivable to leave the work exposed and not properly tarped, then walk away and let the weather have at it.

I hope it all gets sorted out for you Jezza.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 22:36 »
The asbestos removal men turned up yesterday,to frosty to go on scaffolding I mentioned that the corded cover had blown off,answer it's not our responsibility we were told to leave the roof by the main contractor,I told them at 8.15 to fix the felt put the tiles back on take the scaffolding  down remove the skip and beggar off and dont come back ,9am the asbestos removal big wigs were on site with the main contractor big wigs taking photos,an assessor is ringing tomorrow to arrange a visit ,theres now a big blue tent over the back part of the roof so that the  asbestos can be removed tomorrow, the roofing job was supposed to start in April  ,jezza

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 11:03 »
If it a job to remove asbestos that has been there since the year dot and it was delayed, common sense would have said don't press ahead in November ... wouldn't it  :wacko:

I am not surprised you told them what you did jezza.  It is your home they have caused damage to and your blood pressure that they are raising in the process.  Hopefully they get on with it now and as you say - begger off and leave you alone.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 11:41 »
What an example of 'Not my problem, Guv!"  :mad:
Hope they sort everything for you Jezza - and compensate you properly for the damage, inconvenience and whatever else you can think of!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jezza

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 17:45 »
Hello the  wind last night shredded the blue plastic tent, asbestos removers tried to patch it up the wind beat them again 11am water was  pouring down the wall again,I rang the site supervisor got a load of dodo from him ,I told him to get the roof felt hack on and leave, cany do that he said it's a council contract I got the council contract mans number rang him with in 20 minutes 4 roofers turned up and made the roof water tight ,ther3s a couple of dehumidifier s coming in the morning ,a decorators coming next week and theres a carpet fitter lined up ,  jezza

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 00:42 »
Result!  :D

mrs bouquet

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 14:22 »
Oh Jezza, my heart goes out to you.  After my water leak experiences all of this year I understand the sheer frustration.  Glad it is on the way to being sorted.  Take care.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Welsh Water Fix a Leak!

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2018, 10:44
by 8doubles
xx
Using a Leak Bot

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2021, 10:53
by New shoot
xx
I need to put more water with it!!

Started by LILLILEAF on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl
xx
we have water?

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 20:56
by Growster...

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 52 queries.