Ho do I move this is it to late
image.jpg
metal detector man

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Plum tree
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 16:07 »
Doubt it's too late.

It needs to be out of the ground for as little time as possible.  So, assuming it's not going into a pot, dig the hole it's going into first.

Then dig up the tree with as big a rootball as you can.  Wrap the rootball in plastic or other covering to prevent the roots drying out.  Transplant it into its new home as quickly as you can.

If it's going into a pot, then just make sure it's a big enough one.

Ensure it's staked properly for a couple of years until it re-establishes itself, as it won't be well anchored into the ground or pot for a while.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sion01

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 16:15 »
I think it might be a bit late down where you are but you could give it a go.I think that the level of success will depend on how long its been in that spot.If its only been in  a year or two the roots might not have penetrated far into the surrounding soil.When moveing it try to get as much of the roots intact as possible and dont let them dry out at all.If possible try to get the final planting hole ready so it can go in without delay.
If the roots have spread a lot it can survive if you have to cut some of the thick roots which are used mainly for stabilizing the tree but the small fibrous roots are really important as they feed and water the tree.Try to get the soil/compost to be as dry as possible as in my experience its easier to get it in among the roots when backfilling in its final position,giving the tree a gentle shake when backfilling will help it to get inbetween the roots.
If there isn't much of a root ball on the tree when you lift it or if you have to cut some of the roots it would be a good idea to give it some support for a few years until it gets established again.Finally give it a really good watering to help the soil settle among the roots and try to get the soil level the same as it was when you lifted it   

sion01

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 16:16 »
Sorry for repeating a lot of what yorkie said but i was typing when it was posted and couldn't be bothered to change it

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 16:17 »
Sorry for repeating a lot of what yorkie said but i was typing when it was posted and couldn't be bothered to change it

:lol:

mdjlucan

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 07:32 »
I've moved it wensday wen will I no if it takes or not I hope I ant lost it

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 07:42 »
Pa Lowe has moved our fruit trees at all times of the year (except if its fruiting) and at different ages. It seems to be ok though I think it is set back a bit as far as fruiting is concerned. Not had one die o us yet. :)

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:13 »
i would say you should see see some buds growing through within month or so if it has survived.

it surprises me how quick fruit tree's can recover after all the upheaval from being dug up and moved (the advantage to you is you know the tree was healthy and it has been out of the ground for the minimal ime.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 13:05 »
Just make sure you water it well all through the summer, as it will take a year or two to get re-established in its new place.

xx
plum tree

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 23:31
by peterjf
xx
Old plum tree

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 17:10
by Elm street
xx
plum tree

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 20:00
by gobs
xx
Plum tree help please.

Started by Dabhand on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 22:06
by Dabhand

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 39 queries.