carrots

• 5 Replies
carrots
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:22 »
Please help!  I want to grow some decent carrots with a definite flavour and sweetness.  I've grown carrots before, and frankly the supermarket ones were better for all the time and effort.  Can anyone suggest best-flavoured carrots?  I've read about Scarlet Nantes but they seem to be an American variety and not available over here. Am I right?  :unsure: All comments welcome.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
Re: carrots
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 17:56 »
Lidl sell carrot seed called Berlikumer 2. It's done very well for me in the past and I'll be sowing it this year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:01 »
Hi SBC. Last year I tried carrots yet again as I have been very unsuccessful in the past with poor germination and seedlings being eaten. This time, I sowed them later (in June, I think) and had a really good and tasty crop! They were Chantennay Royal from Premier Seeds Direct. Would you put your location in your profile so we know where you are which is helpful when giving advice; also, did you mean your name to be black not balck?  ;) Hope this helps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:08 »
I like 'Sugarsnax'.

snow white

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 15:51 »
All carrots I have grown have been super tasty, Eskimo, Chardonnay, Nantes and Autumn King.  The secret is Dried Blood at the start of the season.  Sow end of March and keep moist until germinated.  (or Fish blood and bone)

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 11:03 »
Hi Goosegirl, yes typo when entering my name it should be black, but I'm used to balack now!  I live in Cambridge with a garden with raised beds, so imported manure and topsoil mix,(and imported aminopyralid, but that's another long and sad story)  and an allotment which has fairly good soil but a lot of clay too. We don't get much rain(except last year when it was cold and dry, and then cold and wet!) so the allotment takes a lot of watering.  I saw another post recommending dried blood. ??. Thx

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots

Started by symonep on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 08, 2012, 06:42
by Growster...
xx
Carrots

Started by Claudina on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 17:45
by gobs
xx
carrots again....

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 15:00
by woodburner

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 38 queries.