Older hen taking exception to newbies

• 3 Replies

ghost61

Older hen taking exception to newbies
« on: May 08, 2019, 08:37 »
We are trying to introduce some new hens to our existing flock.  They can see each other but can't touch.  One of the older hens is taking great umbrage at this and won't stop shouting her head off!  We have kept the newbies in till the neighbours are up to keep the disturbance down as much as possible, but she has now been shouting for two hours and shows no sign of stopping.  I know that if a go out and reassure her she will shut up, but will start again as soon as I disappear.  The others are quiet and unconcerned at present.  I have every distraction possible in their run, but to no avail.  Any ideas would be very gratefully received, as she is driving me (and possibly the neighbours) nuts!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Older hen taking exception to newbies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:09 »
Have you got a dog crate or similar that you can transfer her to?  If so, I would separate her and put her out of sight everyone, even if you end up with her in the house with you.

She's defending her territory, so a change of scene will throw her and hopefully shut her up.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:09 »
I second that.  Keep her out of the loop for a while.  May take a week or two.  Hopefully when you put her back in, all will be quiet.  Worked with my bully of a hen.  They were besties after that.

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 13:27 »
She has just now stopped shouting.  It seems to be that she is getting stressed before laying - although she is 7 she is still laying daily, bless her!  She used to be top bird but one of the younger birds stood up to her and after a quick fight, took over her spot, so I'm not surprised that she is worried.  Have given her cuddles and also fed her some 'chill out' - whether that actually does anything, who knows.  Really don't want to segregate her at this stage.  Given that it's an awful day, we would usually have them running around the garden, but it's raining cats and dogs here and has been since 5am. 

Spoke too soon, she is off again......

xx
Exception to the rule.

Started by Kytie on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 16:32
by Kytie
xx
Introduced the newbies to my existing flock - chaos!

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 16:14
by Helenaj
xx
I'm sure they are taking the you know what

Started by New shoot on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2013, 06:18
by New shoot
xx
Taking a ride on mum

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 17:18
by carolbriar

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 40 queries.