New chooks mixing with established???

• 7 Replies

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
New chooks mixing with established???
« on: April 23, 2009, 16:53 »
I am now left with 6 hens, I would like to get some more, the cot and run is too large a space for 6 and I was reluctant to have any more as I thought 7 could 'gang up' newbies. I would like to get some more and was thinking if I 4 new would they be ok, or would they get picked on?

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: New chooks mixing with established???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 16:59 »
I am now left with 6 hens, I would like to get some more, the cot and run is too large a space for 6 and I was reluctant to have any more as I thought 7 could 'gang up' newbies. I would like to get some more and was thinking if I 4 new would they be ok, or would they get picked on?

I recently bought 3 new POL hens and just put them in the run with my older ones.  After a couple of eyeballing moments from the older ones and chasing Bluebell away from the corn treats, they were fine.  They all snuggled up together on the perch for the night.  It only took them a couple of days to all feed together at the feeders.
I'm hoping to get another 2, probably Black Rocks or Sussex cos they're such good layers, and I'll do the same.

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 16:59 »
I'd hang fire for a couple of weeks to make sure that the girl you just had to dispatch didn't have an infection that has been passed on to the others.

When you're ready to introduce them it would be easier to do if you can keep them separated for a while but able to see each other.

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 19:53 »
HI, it took me 8 weeks for my girls to except my newbies. Although i do think i was a little toooooo soft, and really should of let them get on with it.
 But it broke my heart to see the pecking order take place. So for 8 long weeks mine could see  and smell but NOT TOUCH! Its worked they are all happy i think :blink: Also mine were in a much smaller space than yours.

Good luck. Just think of all the eggs!!! WOW :lol:
Live, Love and Laugh!

Boxfanman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 22:20 »
HI, it took me 8 weeks for my girls to except my newbies. Although i do think i was a little toooooo soft, and really should of let them get on with it.
 But it broke my heart to see the pecking order take place. So for 8 long weeks mine could see  and smell but NOT TOUCH! Its worked they are all happy i think :blink: Also mine were in a much smaller space than yours.

Good luck. Just think of all the eggs!!! WOW :lol:
I have a new rolls royce coop that is going to be home to another 16....

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55 »
We had four girls and it took three weeks for two new girls to settle in there is an odd peck on the back of the neck just as a reminder LOL but nothing too bad but very noisey and scary at first! :D

cudders

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:47 »
Hmm,

I have ten and thinking of another 6..My run is quite large for them as is the space in the shed..Bit hard to keep em apart so might just go for it  ::)

Hope they'll be ok as egg production is superb at the moment..

Cudders

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 13:33 »
ours stopped laying for a couple of weeks but all going great guns now yipppeeeeeeeee! :D

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 39 queries.