beekeeper on board

• 68 Replies

Roughlee Handled

Re: beekeeper on board
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 14:08 »
Welcome Bombus. 

At the time of typing I could not remember what the disease was, thanks for pointing that out. 

Here is an extract from the BBKA website about the insurance cover and can be found here.
http://www.britishbee.org.uk/insurance_cover.php
Public & Products Liability Insurance for Members
BBKA has an insurance policy that covers individual beekeepers, who are members of the BBKA (whether joining as individual members, or as registered or partner members of their local association that is in turn a member of the BBKA.
The Public Liability relates to beekeeping activities of those members noted above in the UK and has a £5,000,000 limit of liability.
A notice of cover is available for members attending farmers markets etc., where proof of cover is required.
The Public Liability insurance also covers officers of branches and associations undertaking their activities in connection with their group.
In addition the insurance covers product liability up to £5,000,000.

It also mentions the Brood Diseases Insurance through BDI Ltd

Do you have bees Bombus and where are you based?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Bombus

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 19:13 »
Yes, I do keep Bees, have done for about 16 years or so. At the moment I'm running 23 colonies. One Carniolan, few Buckfast, rest local mongrels, but all are quiet or they are requeened sharpish. At the moment I have 2 out apiaries, and the rest are kept at home in an old orchard. In the past i have moved my Bees about, but no Borage has been grown near me this year, so I have'nt bothered.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 22:29 »
I am just a newbie. I have one hive of British Black Bees (mongrels as there are no true Black bees).  But I am part of the Black Bees in Pendle group.  http://www.arthurbick.co.uk/Black_Bees/Blog/Blog.html
One hive who are very hungry for syrup at the moment. Next year expanding (helpfully).

Bombus

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13 »
Never had any dealings with "Black" bees myself, though I know a couple of BIBBA members.They seem to be a bit dissolusioned at the way BIBBA is going at the moment, but maybe the £20,000 that the Co op have donated might kick start them into better things.
Just make sure you don't over feed, and cramp the queen for laying space.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24 »
She has two empty frames in the brood box and I have one super on.  Initially I was told to put on syrup so they would draw out the comb in the super.  But they are not doing this just consuming the syrup.  I warning went out from my local BBKA from the North West Inspector saying that he is coming across allot of starving bees.

Do you think what I have sounds ok?

Bombus

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2009, 09:21 »
I think you will find it's too late to get your super frames drawn out this year, unless you take them to the heather that is. Normally you need a good nectar flow to get them drawing comb.
Best just to concentrate on getting them ready to go through the winter.What varroa control are you intending to use?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2009, 11:29 »
I have seen no evidence of varroa yet I have been placing my yellow board below my mesh floor two weeks ago for a week and not one.  But as a precaution I was going to use Api-Guard.  My problem is that I live 1.5 miles from a large amount of heather so not sure what to do yet I have to go and see my mentor soon so will ask him.  Any other points of view gracefully received.  I know with bee keeping you may have 5 bee-keepers on problem and 7 answers. So any answers will be processed in me nogin and may be acted on.

Bombus

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2009, 14:18 »
You would be lucky to get ONLY 7 answers :)

If you are only 1.5 miles away from Heather there is a very strong probability that your Bees will head for it, in which case there is a good chance they will bring back varroa from other peoples Bees, so keep your eyes on them.I'm not scaremongering, this is just the way it works I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 14:25 by Bombus »

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 21:40 »
Hi all, my name is Phil Chandler and I had better declare a 'special interest' right up front: I would like to know more about beekeeping on allotments.

I am a director of "Friends of the Bees" - a charity being set up to protect and conserve bees in the UK and to promote more natural beekeeping practices. We have been asked to advise a local council on how best to allow beehives onto allotments, and while we have compiled some guidance notes on the subject, we would like to hear from anyone who has experience of actually keeping bees on allotments - good or bad.

Hi Phil,
A belated reply to your original post.  Been a bit busy with everything this summer to log-in a read.  I keep 2 hives on my allotments at the moment and they are doing very well.  12 foot hegdes get them over the top of peoples heads and they forage very well there.  Drop me a line if you want any more information regarding their siting.
Cheers, Matt

xx
Not a beekeeper any more :(

Started by SnooziSuzi on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:06
by Trillium
xx
A question about bees by a non-beekeeper

Started by Lulu on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:28
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 38 queries.