Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

• 139 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 13:14 »
:(  That is so sad.

I have been lucky with 3 healthy chicks and one bandy one then.  Will see what it is like when I take the plaster off on Monday but it seem ok at the moment.  Hope it survives as I would love it to grow up to see what breed it is.  If it is a white would it be a heavier breed than the bronze?  Might have to get a bigger oven.   :ohmy:

Our eldest daughter came to see the chicks today and said she didn't want to see them any more.  I said when they grow up and are ugly she won't mind the thought of eating them.   :lol:

Other daughter is in the Artic at the moment so have had to send her photos.  Have just read eldest daughter message to her sister on Facebook "Mum has turkey chicks and is gona eat them!!!"
Her sisters reply "Too right, chomp!!"  well she is dating a Chef!   :lol:

Sisters but chalk and cheese.   

This is the first time we have ever had turkey poults with splayed legs.  All the others over the years have been fine.  You get the odd weakling, but they usually die the first night.  If you can get them over the first month, they are very hardy birds, but yours are different as they were hatched by a broody rather than in an incubator.

Our white ones grow to a similar size to the bronzes, but your oven should be fine, even if you can't fit any roast potatoes in too!! lol

I can never understand people who say to us, 'oh I don't know how you can eat them after looking after them since they were hatched'.  But we would rather eat something that has had a good life here and tastes good, rather than the tasteless commercially grown stuff which you have no idea of the sort of life they've had.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 22:25 »
I totally agree with you there.

Had a scare with the little yellow one today.  It was stumbling and didn't look at all well.  We brought it in the house and gave it some water via syringe.  Took the plaster off its legs to see if it could stand on its own.  It just seemed tired and possibly cold.  We put it back in with its Mum plus a heated bean bag wrapped in a towel.  We had to go out for a few hours and expected it to be worse or dead when we got back.  It made a good recovery but it still looks different to the bronze which is racing around and very strong.  It was eating and drinking this afternoon and very vocal.  Fingers crossed it was just a blip, not looking forward to checking in the morning.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

agapanthus

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2012, 00:07 »
"I can never understand people who say to us, 'oh I don't know how you can eat them after looking after them since they were hatched'.  But we would rather eat something that has had a good life here and tastes good, rather than the tasteless commercially grown stuff which you have no idea of the sort of life they've had"

My thoughts precisely Annie.....although I still have'nt got the bottle to do it myself!!  :blush:.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 11:53 »
I know you haven't got the 'bottle' to cull them yourself, but you do cook and eat them, and appreciate it!  :)

I don't like culling, and will only do sick and injured birds.  I leave the rest to Brian!!!!  xx

ANHBUC

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 17:27 »
Haven't got the option of passing the task on to my hubby as I don't think he could eat it after.  Have started small with a quail, then a couple of bantam cockerels.  Have another 2 that are on death row if they don't keep quiet!!   :wub:

Just working my way up but think I will need a dispatcher for a turkey as have only used a broom handle up to now.

Yellow chick seems fine today, still not as strong as the bronze but doing well.  Was thinking of calling them Bootsy (yellow) and Snudge (bronze).  Won't affect me wanting to eat them when they are big enough though.   ::) :lol:

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 21:13 »
I don't have that problem as Brian is a licensed poultry slaguhterman, but it seems that any sick or injured poultry is my responsibility!

I keep reminding him though that it was HIM who wanted to be a poultry farmer, not me, I wanted to be a nursery person!   :)

The wall mounted dispatcher that we got from Ascott's is good if this is something you will be doing on a fairly regular basis.  Joyfull has one now, and she loves it.  So much quicker than broom handles!

The only thing with using them with turkeys, is that because they are hard to hold with one hand and the dispatcher with the other hand, you really need 2 people.

http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Poultry_Processing_.html    (third item down!)

ANHBUC

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 13:17 »
I did wonder about that.  I suppose if the dispatcher is fixed just above a bench it may be possible to lay the bird down and do the deed.

ANHBUC

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 13:20 »
On a lighter note, a couple more pictures as promised Aunty Aggy.   :D
Turkey chicks day 7 005 (600 x 450).jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 13:23 »
 They both had a little explore with Mum today when I cleaned out their hutch.  Bootsy is loads stronger and no longer bandy.  Snudge is like a little Tazmanian devil jumping everywhere and quite skittish.
Turkey chicks day 7 007 (600 x 450).jpg

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 14:43 »
Awww they are lovely!

The bench idea is a good one.  you could wrap an old towel or something around its wings to stop them flapping, as they are powerful, and can hurt!  :) :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 15:01 »
I usually use a towel when giving meds or treatment to my hens.  It does relax them and makes treatment easier.  Especially when treating legs as their claws are really strong.

I learnt the hard way when trying to treat our cat!   ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 17:08 »
More photos, chicks first outings.
Turkey chicks first outing 003 (600 x 450).jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 17:08 »
Dotty really enjoyed the sunshine.
Turkey chicks first outing 008 (600 x 450).jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 17:09 »
Look closely behind Bootsy for the froglet Dotty had supplied. 
Turkey chicks first outing 018 (600 x 450).jpg

ANHBUC

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2012, 17:11 »
Can't beat a broody for showing the chicks what is what.  Made my afternoon.  They were none too happy when I put them back in the safety of their hutch!   ::)
Turkey chicks first outing 019 (600 x 450).jpg

xx
turkey eggs- how often does your turkey lay eggs?

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 15:52
by massa
xx
Home-hatched copper-blue Marans eggs

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2012, 18:13
by PaulineM
clip
What to do about Dotty

Started by Ema on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2020, 21:42
by grinling
xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.