onions (seed or sets ?)

• 17 Replies

Salmo

Re: onions (seed or sets ?)
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:03 »
Zazen - Do you use different varieties for September and December sowing? Are the September modules in a greenhouse until Spring?

zazen999

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:16 »
No particular different varieties; but I do grow a large range anyway....the Sept ones last year went into a raised bed filled with sand around mid october, outdoors here in the Midlands and were uprooted and transplanted to the lottie around April. I've already pulled them and used/strung them [my lottie neighbour was discovered showing the old boys my onions, as they all only grow from sets a few weeks ago  :lol:]

I found that Bedfordshire Champ and North Holland Bloodred were good last year; this year I've gotten hold of a load of French and Italian varieties and am frantically growing them half for eating and half to save the seeds...plus I bought a packet of 'sprouting seeds' and have used those for spring onions this year, but they have gone far over the spring onion stage and are bulking up nicely.....these were grown a pinch to each jiffy 7 and planted out intact, and some of them are horizontal now as they have pushed themselves apart recently. I'll dig these up this week and replant and leave them to carry on for a while longer.

I am starting a new moon trial with onions soon, 5 seeds per day over a month and all will just be left until next summer and weighed - and then a moon expert will tell me which were sown on the 'right' days and which we sown on 'wrong' days and we will compare results...I don't want to jeopardise any results so am not consulting any moon calendars for this trial at all....

I'm a bit sad, you may have noticed.  :ohmy:

chrissie B

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 09:43 »
i was overjoyed when what i thought were the onions seed were coming up only to find later they were yet more spring onions .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
onions from seed v's sets

Started by Gellideg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 30, 2018, 08:17
by jaydig
xx
Onions from sets or seed ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 11, 2009, 11:54
by Salmo
xx
Storing seed potatoes, onions and garlic sets

Started by Big Stev3 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 02, 2013, 19:21
by The Golden Heap
question
Overwintered onions from seed and sets - to to care for over winter

Started by green3a on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2011, 23:30
by gobs

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 32 queries.