tatties too deep

• 12 Replies

chopkins1313

tatties too deep
« on: April 28, 2010, 16:40 »
I planted my earlies (charlotte) about a month ago now. They had been well chitted. They are yet to even show above ground  :(

I planted them about six inches down, is this too deep??? I'm hoping I havn't ruined them! Anyone else having problems with no-shows?

Chris

gardener247

• Experienced Member
Re: tatties too deep
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 16:42 »
no 6 inches isn't too deep i did the same and mine are up was there a bad frost or something :wacko:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 16:47 »
Worry ye not - my Charlottes (got because of the recommendations on here) and my other pots are just showing. Have you watered them well during this dry spell? I have twice and maybe it helped - I don't know.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 16:53 »
My goodness, Chopkins. You took the words right out of my keyboard! I was thinking just the same myself. Mine are probably about the same depth - 6 inches or so down. It's what they do round these parts to avoid having to earth up later on. So I've still got my fingers crossed.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 16:55 »
I do have cause for concern I think, 10+ inch is probably a bit too much ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 17:08 »
I planted mine about 4" deep and have subsequently earthed them up about 6" and the shoots are still poking through!

(Not quite the same thing as planting them 10" deep though which would probably be into still quite cold soil which would hold them up. Should still be OK though.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 17:50 »
Mines just started to show this week, I'm so happy as it seemed to take ages, I'm sure yours will pop up eventually.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 17:54 »
My charlottes are just showing, i would not worry about them being 10" deep it means when they show they should have missed the regular frosts we have been getting. :)

goodegg

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 18:56 »
the correct depth for spuds is 5 " but when they are banked its probably 12 " so i wouldnt worry when they are planted by tractor they are probably about  14 " so all is well the spuds have been longer this year to show themselves because of the weather we have had .

digalotty

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 19:05 »
mine are in australia i think , i dug a 6" deep trench and then burried my tatties 6"below that and some of them are just popping through now
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 20:45 »
My Charlottes were planted about 6 inches under and have just started showing after 4 weeks - It has been warmer and drier down here in the south east than where you are chopkins1313 so I wouldn't worry  :)

I've also just had my first "volunteer" Charlotte from last year pop through, you wouldn't believe how much effort I went through trying to ensure they were all harvested !! shows they are hardy things after the winter we just had.  ::)
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 20:47 »
I planted my earlies (charlotte) about a month ago now. They had been well chitted. They are yet to even show above ground  :(

I planted them about six inches down, is this too deep??? I'm hoping I havn't ruined them! Anyone else having problems with no-shows?

Chris

sounds fine to me,dont worry they will poke through.hopefully after this next cold spell lol.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 20:47 »
mine are in australia i think , i dug a 6" deep trench and then burried my tatties 6"below that and some of them are just popping through now

I did the same with mine and then sprinkled potato fertiliser in the trench.. I also raked the soil up after.. 2 1/2 weeks later and my 1st earlies and 2nd earlies are showing! Was very surprised as they are so deep!

xx
I think I may have planted my tatties too deep...

Started by mandycharlie on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 11:53
by mandycharlie
xx
How deep is too deep for potatoes?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 18:26
by peapod
xx
tatties for tea

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 30, 2007, 21:45
by pwgun
xx
Tatties

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 12:56
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.