Brahma with a poorly tummy?

• 4 Replies

Daisycow

« on: March 26, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi,

I hope someone can help? I have read the sticky on chicken poo and now wonder if I should be worried?...
I have 5 bantams, 4 are pekins (1 is only 'alleged', she looks similar to the others, but we're not convinced!) and one brahma bantam. The brahma when we first got her did the odd yellow foamy-ish poo, but as she was doing normal ones too I thought nothing of it. Now nearly 6 weeks after getting her she is nearly always doing a yellow foamy poo, this week has been more noticeable. She is eating fine, she hasn't lost weight, but she does smell more than the others. She is allegedly POL, but she acts a lot more...immature than the rest and isn't laying yet. Also sometimes the next day the poo has gone like...(sorry!) toffee!!? The others' poos are all normal (just to check, is it normal for the odd one to be half-solid, half-liquid?  :?  ) They have all recently been on antibiotics for a week due to mycoplasma in one of the pekins. Help appreciated!

Thanks, Daisy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Brahma with a poorly tummy?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 22:18 »
Hi Daisy

As I expect you know yellow foamy poos is a symptom of coccidiosis and that is something which shoud be treated immediatly.

All hens pass a sticky gluey smell poo every now and then.  This comes from the caecum rather than directly through the gut.

Mycoplasma too,  you have had bad luck !  Mycoplasma is never completely cured ,but make sure they are all treated for it until you are happy they are fit and well, clean the house well as it can loiter in the dust.  But keep an eye out for symptoms recurring in the future.

Daisycow

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:46 »
Thank you Aunt Sally, I wondered if that would be the case. I'm ashamed to say 3 of them came from not the most reputable of places, lesson has been learnt!! The mycoplasma treatment seems to have worked, but will keep eye on it, the vet did give us more antibiotics than we needed incase it recurred. Thanks for your help  :)
Daisy

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:03 »
Quote from: "Daisycow"
I'm ashamed to say 3 of them came from not the most reputable of places, lesson has been learnt!! Daisy

Don't be too hard on yourself as to where you got them from, I got some of mine from a similar sounding place. I like to think I rescued them in that respect, what would have happened to them if you hadn't got them??

Your looking after them really well now and thats what counts  :)

Hope you manage to get her better soon   :)

Daisycow

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 11:30 »
Thank you V, I hadn't thought of it that way!!  :D  
I phoned the vets this morning, who asked loads of questions and in the end advised that I worm them (hadn't done yet as not long finished the treatment for mycoplasma) and if that does not work take them in a poo sample! Thanks for your help, and I promise I will get some photos on here soon!!  :)
Daisy

xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by HelenandPat on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 20:51
by HelenandPat
xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by Ruthy Bear on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 19:37
by joyfull
xx
Poorly Brahma

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2007, 00:24
by little miss muffat
xx
Bald Tummy

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 09:56
by Tattyanne456

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.