Cucumber Chutney ????

• 4 Replies

devon

Cucumber Chutney ????
« on: August 02, 2014, 19:56 »
Has anyone made the Cucumber and Apple chutney on recipe page . Have lots of cucumbers thinking of making this one.
 Interested in peoples opinion's on it.

Beetroot Queen

Re: Cucumber Chutney ????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 20:13 »
I did

Wasnt keen but then I hate cucumbers LOL, I must say i made it in 2010 and we still have two jars in the cupboard so not sure it was just me who wasnt keen.  :blush:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 00:39 »
I tried some last year but threw it away in spring, it was revolting. But I can't remember which recipe I used though so no help there.

This year I have made pickled cucumber which is great with cheese or salad, really surprised me and easy to make. I don't usually like pickles. Have even sold a few jars. The neighbours (three of them!) tend to pass their gluts on to us by the half dozen, and of course I have my own glut from just a few plants. Lucky the geese like them!

A friend gave me this recipe as she remembered I had a glut last year and had to bin a load. She says it's brilliant and keeps well. It is just a slight variation on other pickles here, but the only one I have tried.

3lbs cucumber weighed when peeled and cut into 1/4" slice
1lb medium onion sliced ( I slice them down rather than across-- like small orange segments) they keep better this way
2 peppers -green, red or whatever de seeded and sliced
1 and a half ounces salt

Peel cucumber and slice approx 1/4" thick, peel and slice onion, de seed and slice pepper.

Layer veg in a colander sprinkling each layer with salt. Cover and leave 2-3 hours then drain and rinse well and drain well.
Pickle
10 oz brown sugar ( I have used any but the brown colours it )
1 and  a half tsp mustard seed (I used a sachet of pickling spice)
1 teaspoon celery seed (I left this out, don't like it)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon. Ground mace
1 pint white wine vinegar( I have used malt vinegar many a time)

Put all pickle in a pan and bring to boil, boil together for 2 minutes then add drained veg, return to boil and then pot into sterilised jars.

It is ready as soon as it is cool and absolutely delicious. Keeps years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 00:54 by tosca100 »

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 20:42 »
I have made the cucumber and apple chutney. It was fine, but used less cayenne pepper than recipe stated , thought it might be too hot for our taste. Have made a second batch as am overwhelmed with cucumbers. Also pickled them , used apple cider vinegar which gave a nice flavour.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 00:14 »
I have made several different cucumber chutneys/relishes in the past and none of them blew me away.

I make a cucumber pickle almost identical to Tosca and that is delicious. I have made about 20 jars this year and they will all be eaten by next july. These type of pickles are called bread and butter pickle. They were called this because they used to be eaten with bread and butter.  I am fairly sure that it is an old traditional recipe.

You can also slice them into really thick slices and pickle them in flavoured vinegar like pickled gherkins with sticks of carrot and thickly sliced onions.

xx
cucumber and apple chutney

Started by bridget on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 17:06
by bridget
xx
I am a chutney god

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:26
by noshed
xx
A new use for chutney

Started by Jackypam on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 20:09
by chrissie B
xx
chutney

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 36 queries.