Anyone freezing runners?

• 39 Replies

wighty

Re: Anyone freezing runners?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 19:49 »
We are in the process of blanching a load of runners picked from PIL garden today,  I've never had a problem with blanching, freezing and then eating them.  Prefer French beans though but ours this year were absolutely pathetic.

Steveharford

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 19:58 »
Well worth it Mrs Bee. In fact, having just washed and bagged up some more damsons I have picked half a basket of runners and noticed that mine are slowing down too. I was picking well into October last year but I cant see it happening this. In line with all my other produce this year. Anyway I was about to salt some more beans and found that I hadnt any sweet jars left. One is still half full of last years beans. I can feel a big order of pear drops coming on !

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 20:27 »
Steve, Don't know how you managed to cover each layer with salt completely. When I put the beans in I did not line them all up neatly, but they lay across each other to some degree. Therefore the salt tended to fall through the gaps a fair bit. I got quite a lot of salt in there. Anyway I'll just have to see how they get on. It's a bit of an experiment with one jar for now.

Steveharford

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 20:51 »
ah now I do. Once sliced With a bean slicer I simply lie them
on the board all in the same direction and cut across the whole bunch. I can then pick them up in bundles place them in the jar directly on top of each other.   If there is a gap at the end I then put a few crossways to fill the gap. ( hope Im making sense here!). That way there is very little space between them.  Im sure yours will be ok its just thats the way I have always done them. You will probably find that the water in the bottom will disappear once they have settled in.

Steveharford

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 20:55 »
Also dont be afraid of putting too much salt in as it will fill any air voids. If you like I will take a pic of mine to give you an idea.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 00:08 »
Also dont be afraid of putting too much salt in as it will fill any air voids. If you like I will take a pic of mine to give you an idea.

Yes please. :)
Do you use the fine kitchen salt or the granular sea salt?

Steveharford

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 06:24 »
I just use the cheapest I can find. most if not all if it will be swilled out when preparing them to eat anyway. In fact I have often flushed mine so much I have added back salt to taste.

Steveharford

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 13:02 »
Here we are. Just taken polythene off and there is a little water at the top.I might need to add more salt at some stage but anyway thats what mine look like 
IMG_20140905_130012.jpg

Mrs Bee

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2014, 17:07 »
Thanks for that Steve. :)

May try that if there are any runner beans still left when we get back from hols.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2014, 17:34 »
Just used some frozen, un-blanched runners in some veg soup and they were nice. Only been in the freezer a month so they may toughen up. I will be happy if they stay the way they are, surprisingly acceptable if the only alternative is cabbage and more cabbage in winter.

xx
Freezing Veg

Started by Mr Trembly on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 22:18
by suziet88
xx
Freezing veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:01
by Trillium
xx
re freezing

Started by flitwickone on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:46
by Trillium
xx
Freezing

Started by mashauk on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 23:10
by Cazzy

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.