Big Broad Bean Plants

• 2 Replies

LilacSandy

Big Broad Bean Plants
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:13 »
Hi,  I planted 'The Sutton' a few weeks ago into plastic coffee cups and I have had about 95% germination.

The plants are in my unheated greenhouse but are now about the size I would be expecting to plant out next March.  Can you please advise me what to do with them, should I leave them where they are in the expectation that the weather will change and they will slow up growth, or should I plant them in the lotty.  They are about 4" tall, quite bushy with glossy green leaves and thick white roots.  I would not be able to cover them all with clouches and as my site is very exposed to the winds it is not practiable to cover them with fleece.

BabbyAnn

Re: Big Broad Bean Plants
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 19:47 »
I would not be able to cover them all with clouches and as my site is very exposed to the winds it is not practiable to cover them with fleece

As you have grown them in the greenhouse, personally I don't think it would be wise to try and plant out now especially with winter setting in proper and forecasts of strong winds.  If the greenhouse is unheated, then they should slow down - could you perhaps put them in a cold frame instead and just close the lid when the weather gets bad?

LilacSandy

Re: Big Broad Bean Plants
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 20:53 »
Thanks BabbyAnn,

I think you are right, I do have a cold frame doing nothing at the moment so I may move them to the lotty and cover them with it.

xx
Been given some broad bean plants

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 21:29
by muntjac
xx
rusty broad bean plants

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2007, 05:31
by ACatCalledElvis
xx
Broad Bean plants going bushy

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 10:45
by johnyboy
xx
What to do with broad bean plants that are ready

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 07:57
by DD.

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 39 queries.