Does anyone not really water their outdoor tomatoes?

• 23 Replies

OakR

Re: Does anyone not really water their outdoor tomatoes?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2020, 15:38 »
Thanks everyone - quite an interesting and differing set of views.

I think I'll definitely try and water some a lot less than normal, and keep doing some a bit more regularly and see how they compare. Wil try to remember to report back at the end end of the season.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 16:05 »
I think a reasonable conclusion from this discussion is that tomatoes are more tolerant of irregular watering when grown outdoors than indoors, and possibly produce better flavoured tomatoes too.

In this country at least the main concern is the threat of blight, which changes the whole equation for many.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jambop

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 19:48 »
I think a reasonable conclusion from this discussion is that tomatoes are more tolerant of irregular watering when grown outdoors than indoors, and possibly produce better flavoured tomatoes too.

In this country at least the main concern is the threat of blight, which changes the whole equation for many.

Exactly! Like all plants they naturally grow outside it the open air. The other thing that is often over looked is that tomatoes grown in a greenhouse are subject to wildly different rates of warming and cooling than tomatoes grown out in the open. This has a major effect on the rate of transpiration which of course in turn  requires the plant to draw water much quicker that those growing in open air... which takes much, much longer to warm up. On a cloudy day in a greenhouse they don't know whether they are coming or going :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2020, 21:53 »
No, not 'exactly': growing tomatoes outdoors is clearly far easier in the South of France than in most of the UK, where less than 'ideal' strategies sometimes have to be deployed.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 23:42 »
Tomatoes certainly are challenging in the UK, JayG.  Recently I’ve had 30C during the day and 12C or lower at night, making their leaves curl up.  And every day this week I’ve been notified of a Hutton Period.

My tommies are quaking with fear in their pots.  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2020, 08:53 »
It will all be worth it though.  Let's face it, if we just stuck to the crops considered bomb proof in the UK climate, we would be back to following the advice of John Claudius Loudon, who was advising rural workers back in the day to grow 100 cabbages per year per family member, to ensure all were fed :lol:

I grow blight resistant tomatoes on the plot for sauce and preserving, but the greenhouse has more delicate plants for fruits to enjoy fresh.  They grow well every year and I think way better than they would fare outdoors  :)

jambop

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2020, 09:55 »
No, not 'exactly': growing tomatoes outdoors is clearly far easier in the South of France than in most of the UK, where less than 'ideal' strategies sometimes have to be deployed.

Make your mind up bud! In the previous post you are saying

"I think a reasonable conclusion from this discussion is that tomatoes are more tolerant of irregular watering when grown outdoors than indoors, and possibly produce better flavoured tomatoes too.

In this country at least the main concern is the threat of blight, which changes the whole equation for many. "

I agree with you then you tell me no not exactly? Where the tomatoes are grown is irrelevant people grow tomatoes under cover down here too to avoid blight and, as you have rightly pointed out, they are far less tolerant of irregular watering.
 You are correct in the first instance. Tomatoes grown in the open ground are more tolerant for the simple reason that in an indoor situation the conditions can change very rapidly and water reserves in the soil being used can change very quickly due to that. Tomatoes grown outdoors are far more tolerant because the soil has huge reserves of water... even in a dry spell.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 10:18 »
Subtle nuances Jambop (and the name is JayG, not 'bud' if you don't mind.)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 10:32 »
I can't see any contradiction in the replies JayG gave, so I am not sure what the issue is  ??? 

Yes ideally we would all grow tomatoes outside as it is easier, they don't need watering as much and can taste better.  Climate and blight concerns do not always make that possible, so we do our best under cover to get the results we want.

I was reading everyone's replies with a genuine interest in all the differing points of view.  Perhaps that helps with spotting the nuances  :)

xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 06:03
by RJR_38
xx
outdoor tomatoes

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:06
by boogaloo
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 01:26
by Paul Plots
xx
tomatoes outdoor

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 06:46
by gillie

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 49 queries.