Grass Paths and Weeds

• 18 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Grass Paths and Weeds
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:16 »
Hi,

Just wondering what peoples opinions are of grass paths and in particular, the extent to which they are problematic in respect of weeds?

We have Marestail and bindweed quite bad on our plot, it doesn't bother me too much -  I just pull it out when I see it now.  Obviously when I'm preparing beds I try my best to clear the roots, but it never really works, so I just try keep on top of it by clearing the weeds when they appear.

Cardboard and woodchips seem to control these weeds to an extent, but the marestail still gets through eventually, just not the same volume as an area which is uncovered.  Would turfing the paths be a bad idea compared to woodchips?  I ask because I am thinking of having grass paths?  Presumably bindweed and marestail will come through easier, but then again if I keep the paths trimmed the weeds will be cut off above the surface. Do people actually weed grassed areas or just mow it?

Thanks.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Grass Paths and Weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26 »
Our grass paths are mown and I never weed them.

Spr0ut

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 12:54 »
Where the grass is strong and would be difficult to eradicate, I have left it as grass and mow or strim it as required - not too bad in dry weather but when it rains for days it is a pain to keep short and becomes a slug haven.

Where the paths are earth, I keep them dry and hoe the weeds off as they appear. I prefer the paths this way as there is nowhere for slugs to hide. I am removing the grass paths as I find time, but there is a grass work area that will always need cutting so I won't get away from it completely.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 13:12 »
And mowing appears to be one of the best ways to keep marestail under control.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 14:15 »
My paths are covered with woodchips over membrane ( discarded tonne builders bags) I found grass always wanted mowing and constantly crept on to the beds.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 15:07 »
I have grass paths between my raised beds which I created on farmland. Regular mowing will help, as will lawn weedkiller to eliminate dandelions, docks and creeping buttercup etc, but my main problem is couch grass which gets into everywhere. As for mare's tail - I have the usual species in my front beds, but have the water-loving variety creeping out from the nearby dyke which, strangely enough is much easier to control by digging if a root strays. Don't rely on mowing to eradicate the usual mare's tail as it seems to survive underground and come up elsewhere instead. Personally, I wouldn't spend money on turfing - apart from the expense, you will still get weeds germinating there and grass paths aren't the best maintenance-friendly things.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 15:56 »
i was considering grass paths this season to help with weeds and help keep moisture in the soil. however i had a problem with wireworm in my potatoes last year and was told grass would not be the best idea while i'm trying to get rid of them.

this year i have now laid temporary paths by covering the ground with carpet (the felt type preferably). i know many people disagree with this method, but i can't see that many chemicals leaching into the soil and even less getting into any crop. the carpet will get taken up and either dried or thrown away over winter and re laid next spring.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 16:08 »
OK thanks for all the advice and opinions.

I guess woodchip is maybe the better choice.  On one hand, grass paths do look good and the mowing sounds like it controls the weeds including marestail quite well.  However, slugs may be a problem and the mowing takes up time.  Plus I'd have to buy a mower or a strimmer.

Woodchip does keep the weeds down to an extent.  Also, it seems there is less of a problem with slugs on woodchip.  Low maintenance also.

Out of interest, are the cordless strimmers any good, if I did decide on turfing the paths?

Also, is it easier to put turf down or grow grass from seed?

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 17:32 »
I got a cordless strimmer for my birthday, good if you keep it shortish regularly, but no good on any long stuff if you are a bit random about your mowing  ::)

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 22:42 »
I had grass paths between my beds but without timber around the beds, I got a lot of grass creepage onto the beds. I didn't have a mower that I could take and found that strimming threw a lot of grass onto the beds and took a long time (45 minutes to cut the grass).

I have covered the grass with weed suppressant membrane and put bark chippings on top. Its reduced that length of time to keep the paths workable considerably but I've now got horsetail growing through the weed suppressant which could be a long term problem.

Spr0ut

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 00:15 »
Surely if you used a pondliner gauge black plastic - or compost bags maybe - under woodchips, nothing could get through? Weed supressing fabric must have a weave that aggressive weeds can find a way through.

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26 »
Surely if you used a pondliner gauge black plastic - or compost bags maybe - under woodchips, nothing could get through? Weed supressing fabric must have a weave that aggressive weeds can find a way through.

There's a lovely green patch of mares tail growing through the pavement at the top of our road. It'll grow through anything and had no problems cracking tar-mac.

I had grass paths on my plot - needed attention to keep them tidy & trim but a quick nip over with a petrol mower made speedy work of any weeds. Be warned though.. I would avoid putting mares tail on the compost heap along with grass mowings. Better to use a mower with a mulch facility and leave the trimmings where the are.

New grass paths needed? I'd sow grass seed around September time (do one stretch at a time).... ignore the weeds the mower will keep them in check.

Inbetween rows / blocks of plants soil is hard to beat.... hoe when needed then dig over winter.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 06:03 »

The recycled builders bags don't let weeds through but they find the holes :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 07:05 »
We have all grass paths between 8' x 4' beds, and the soil is level with the grass in most cases.

I glyphosate the edges every year, and it forms a sort of hard shoulder which makes mowing a doddle, and banishes almost all the edging requirements, except where there is a cliff face from previous tenants' excessive rotovating...

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28 »
We have a free source of woodchip nearby, so have opted for weed suppressant fabric with woodchip on top, which works well with raised beds.   We have spent a lot of time digging out weeds, including horsetail and bindweed before putting it down though.   The odd one gets through, but there aren't many so easy to maintain.  We top up the woodchip once in a blue moon.

So a fair bit of effort at the outset, but pays dividends.

xx
grass paths

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:15
by sunshineband
xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Grass paths or membrane

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2015, 10:04
by Kristen
xx
Clearing grass paths

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 19:19
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 39 queries.