Swollen abdomen?

• 24 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Swollen abdomen?
« on: April 28, 2011, 21:39 »
2 weeks ago, can't remember if I mentioned it on here, but a lady who bought a couple of Goldlines from us asked me if I'd like them back as she was moving back the Loughborough with only a tiny garden.

The hens are 2 years old.  One is quite bald around the neck, having been pecked by the third hen that was re-homed separately.  When I picked 'Mable' up, the other hen, she was very heavy, and walks like a meat chicken.  I weighed her.  Poor thing weighs 3kgs!!!

So for 2 weeks, Little and Large have been on a diet of layers pellets and a few dandelions, but no other treats, and certainly no corn.

I felt Mable all over but she didn't feel particularly warm under her wings or anywhere, tummy felt okay, apart from a bit big, but then she is big all over!

However today when I picked her up, her abdomen is very tight and swollen, which I would have thought maybe egg peritonitis, but can you get EP when you have NEVER laid an egg before??  They reckon she has never laid an egg in her 2 years.

She's been wormed, and we've got some Tylan, do you think the Tylan may help?

Brian wants to cull her, but I told Sarah I would look after her girls, as she was very upset to have to get rid of them.  What am I going to say when she emails me to ask how they are doing??

rachelr

Re: Swollen abdomen?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 21:42 »
GA how long ago was she wormed as some one told me that a severe case of worms could take a month to get rid of.

Maybe she is a meat hen?

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 21:44 »
Hi Rachel, I only put the flubenvet in their food 3 days ago.  I don't think its worms, but thought I'd try just in case.

She is definitely not a meat chicken, as I only sold this couple 2 Goldlines!!!   :D :D

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 21:48 »
perhaps...  ??? she may be so fat that now she has lost a little wieght she is starting to lay and is not able to pass the egg try the old vasaline trick annie ,one finger coated and gently push up the egg duct and she if she has any obstructions :wub:
 remeber to wash ya dannies afterwards  :tongue2:
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 21:52 »
You think she may be able to lay after 2 years Munty?  Okay, I'll have a feel in the morning!

I'll let you know how I get on!!  Thanks love!

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 22:33 »
I had to have my hen put to sleep yesterday GA and she had a big abdomen. She felt heavy when I picked her up but she's not laid for about six months and the vet was able to confirm it was no egg, but as mass. She went rapidly downhill and he put her to sleep yesterday. 

I hope your girl's not got that but a big abdomen and a heavy feeling bird is a bit worrying  :(

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 22:46 »
What I find hard to believe CQ is that the couple did not even notice how big she was, or the fact that she can't even walk properly!  She takes a few steps and her left leg gives out so she stumbles.  Poor thing!

It doesn't look good, but I will do my best for her.

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 23:26 »
I didn't notice either GA but she has always been the biggest of the girls but it was the fact that she was wobbly that I picked her up to have a close look at her  :(

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 23:27 »
I think you would have noticed this one CQ, she is HUGE  weighs twice what a normal hybrid should!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 00:05 »
I think you could use this as a case for people keeping a handful of hens rather than just one or two.  If they were inexperienced chicken-keepers and have no basic reference point, I suppose they wouldn't know how a 'normal' hen should walk or move.

As a newbie myself I'm really glad I got two of each breed, all heavy breeds and all similar ages.  It allows me to compare the same-breed 'twin' when I'm wondering whether one of the birds is too skinny or too fat.  And having six heavy-breed pullets allows me to observe what is individual variation and what is a possible sign that something's not right with one of them.

I hope Mabel gets better with a bit of TLC from you, GrannieAnnie.

bantam novice

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 07:57 »
Good luck GrannieAnnie,   :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 08:40 »
I can confirm she is way over weight having seen her, the excess could have put a strain on her heart which could be one of the reasons why she can't move too much. Also her legs would be struggling to lift that weight, I know the hen rescue places when they have weak birds that are unable to stand put them in a sling to help build their strength for short periods (think along the lines of what you pop babies in and hook in a doorway.
However continue  with the worming and try the vaseline trick.
Fingers crossed for her xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38 »
Thanks everyone, I'll give Mabel your best wishes!  ;)  and I'll come back later and let you know how I got on with the vaseline!  :lol:

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 01:42 »
This doesn't sound so good GA and I suspect it's a new acute condition.  Why not have a word with the previous owner to get some background and I'd get an experienced bird vet to look at her because it sounds very much she retaining a lot of fluids.  It could point to a heart or kidney condition or even a severe internal infection such as EYP.  I don't think you should let your reticence to tell the past owner stand in the way as unless you can get to grips with this soon it will be even worse news you will be telling her when you do speak.

I'd certainly not give her Tylan it's unlikely to be effective and giving the wrong a/b may well prove fatal as it will weaken her natural ability to fight whatever it is.  Only a vet can advise you on the correct a/b's after a diagnosis.  I doubt this will get better on it's own I'm sorry to say.

HF
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 01:44 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 08:36 »
Well I did have a feel around in her vent yesterday, and the only thing I could feel was poo!  Which was the right colour, but on my finger rather than on the ground!  :lol:

Thanks for the advice re the Tylan HF!  I won't give her any more then.  But you are right, it doesn't look good, and there is no way Brian will take a bird to the vet that he didn't want in the first place.  So it looks bad for her I'm afraid.

The previous owners haven't been in touch yet since they moved, but when I said how big she was, they just said oh she's always had a good appetite!

xx
Hen with swollen abdomen

Started by Miss Bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 08:17
by Miss Bean
xx
swollen abdomen

Started by pammie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 15:33
by pammie
xx
chicken swollen abdomen

Started by andreas on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 01:10
by hillfooter
xx
Where is a chicken's abdomen?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:58
by Casey76

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 39 queries.