Bullied chicken

• 5 Replies

mark porcher

Bullied chicken
« on: February 08, 2011, 21:01 »
We have 6 chickens, all bought from the same place. We have had them for about 3 months with no major problems. In the last week 1 of the chickens has been closing its eyes a lot during the day, sleeping stood up in the garden, and seems really wary of the other chickens. It is also being pecked by the other chickens. She does not even want to go back in the coop at night. She is eating and drinking water.

Please help!

cejx

• Experienced Member
Re: Bullied chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 22:06 »
Ah, something I've struggled with too.  Separate the bully for a few days so when she is reintroduced, she is at the bottom of the pecking order.  If bullied chook has blood on her, purple spray her and possibly separate her - but in full view of the others.  Then after a few days, put her in the coop at bed time.  If there is one kind chicken, try separating them together. Have separate feeding stations, and then play musical chooks for a while.  In the end, I had to have my little Violet rehomed elsewhere, but chooks can be vicious things and it is hideous to witness.
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 22:21 »
Hi Mark, it sounds to me like the chicken is being bullied because she is already sick.  Chickens often pick on a vulnerable bird and can be quite merciless.

I would suggest separating the sick hen from the flock and keeping her somewhere warm and dry where you can observe her closely and treat whatever it is that's causing her illness.

I am not experienced enough to suggest what might be wrong with her, but other people on this forum will be able to help.  They will want to know more information like:
- When did she lay her last egg?
- What do her poos look like - and is she clean around the vent area?
- Has she been recently treated for internal or external parasites?  eg worms, mites, etc.
- What is the condition of her comb and wattles? (compared to what they were before and compared to your other birds)

mark porcher

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 13:52 »
Ah, something I've struggled with too.  Separate the bully for a few days so when she is reintroduced, she is at the bottom of the pecking order.  If bullied chook has blood on her, purple spray her and possibly separate her - but in full view of the others.  Then after a few days, put her in the coop at bed time.  If there is one kind chicken, try separating them together. Have separate feeding stations, and then play musical chooks for a while.  In the end, I had to have my little Violet rehomed elsewhere, but chooks can be vicious things and it is hideous to witness.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 20:20 »
No advice, Mark, but just wanted to say good luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 21:13 »
Purple spray is great. It tastes awful (try it!) so using it soon stops pecking and gives the victim confidence. Put on back of neck so no danger of getting in eyes.

xx
Help-chicken is being bullied

Started by new heather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:37
by Carla
sad
bullied chicken

Started by hillary1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 20:16
by joyfull
question
help have one chicken being bullied

Started by amythyst5040 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 18:08
by karlooben
sad
Help please - bullied chicken

Started by girliesx4 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 19:25
by ash

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.