Eggbound?

• 3 Replies

thechicken

Eggbound?
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:59 »
I have recently taken delivery (a week ago) of 2 white bantam leghorns - probably about a year old. I was told they were both laying when we purchased.
I am getting a little white egg a day which is great BUT should I be expecting 2 a day? What I dont know is whether they are both laying an egg alternate days or whether it is just one of tte chickens that is laying and the other is 'eggbound'  The obvious way to find out is to sit in the coop with them but as I am out at work all day quite difficult and although I love them to bits not sure I want to do that - is there another way?
Can you tell if chickens are eggbound?
I understand that garlic is a good cure but I am struggling to get them to eat layer mash on a daily basis so am a bit loathed to introduce garlic!
Any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Eggbound?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:31 »
Don't assume she is eggbound just because you are missing an egg a day.

At a year old, both should be laying most days.  Are they pure breed leghorns, or a leghorn hybrid?  I had some white hybrid leghorns who were wonderful layers, but their eggs were quite smallish, but I think the pure breed leghorns lay a bigger egg.

They do sometimes take a day off, but you should be getting 2 eggs most days.  Mind you, saying that, we have 20 layers and some days only get 10 eggs.

If either of them look uncomfortable, having any problems and you think she is eggbound, just feel around her vent and abdomen to see if you can feel an egg which may be stuck, ut if they are both healthy and their vents are clean, I don't think either of them are eggbound.

This weather doesn't help, ours don't know if its summer or winter!!!    :(

PaulineM

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:56 »
Hi

The move to you could have put them of their routine as well  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

thechicken

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 13:05 »
Thanks for your advice - the 2 are pure breed leghorns but are only bantams so the eggs are small white ones.

I will keep a careful watch over the next few days but did wonder if the move to their new homw might have had an impact. One of the 2 had already spent 6 months with us (long story!) so I think she will have settled quicker than the other one.

xx
Is she eggbound?

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 19, 2009, 09:01
by yolkie
xx
Eggbound???

Started by foggle007 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 14:59
by poultrygeist
xx
eggbound??????

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 13:17
by kimT
xx
Eggbound?

Started by jennym on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 14:00
by Sassy

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 38 queries.