Plot advice please!

• 13 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Plot advice please!
« on: September 25, 2011, 00:44 »
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post so please accept my apologies if it is the wrong place! I just took on a starter plot recently - approximately 12m x 3m. It was covered in weeds and I have managed to clear them, hoe the new sprouts, and double dug the plot pulling up any couch grass roots I could find (interestingly this bit was relatively therapeutic!).

As I was getting closer to finishing the digging over of my plot a chap came over and asked me if I was going to leave it like this over winter to kill the bugs etc (as apparently my neighbour, an ex farm hand does), or if I am going to start planting now.  The first option hadn't crossed my mind as I thought I would start planting as soon as I could, seed type permitting etc.  He told me that the guy who had my plot before was "in the business" and I was lucky as it had good soil thanks to him.

Should I be planting, letting it sit as it is over the winter or is there something else I should be doing? I read somewhere else about putting some manure over it too.

I also found a bunch of potatoes of various varieties in the soil. If I leave these in will they grow next season, or will they compost?  They were spread throughout the plot so if they will grow I may have to dig a few more up as I don't want just a potato plot!

We have running water between April and the end of september, so is it necessary to have a water butt? Most plots do, but I think that is historical as my understanding is that the allotment site only put in the running water in the last 12-18 months.

Finally, I wonder if someone might be able to help me work out how many crop types we could realistically and sensibly expect to plant on a patch of this size?  There are only two of us so we don't need huge amounts of any particular veg, but I would like to try planting a variety of veg, e.g. Corn, beans, Courgettes, radishes, Carrots, potatoes, raspberries - and we have a potted red falstaff tree in our garden that we are thinking of replanting in the allotment where it could thrive a bit more.

In case it helps here is a picture, and you can just see my neighbour on the right who is leaving their plot over winter. On the left hand side you can see our other neighbour who also has the one towards the back - they started in the same position as me with that patch and have already planted stuff but still have a lot of weeds re-sprouting.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:48 by Paulj »

Trillium

Re: Plot advice please!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45 »
For the potatoes, you're better off pulling them all out as 1) they'll likely be in the way of any crops you'll want to plant and eventually overtake them and 2) so many potatoes contact blight that you really don't want to risk it passing on in your soil. Best to simply dig what you have and plant certified disease free varieties that you do want, where you want them.

Water butts wouldn't be mandatory at all, but most plants do prefer rain water over tap water. It's also a good backup plan in case something happens to your water supply, or if its too alkaline or acidic, or heaven forbid, you need to pay extra rates on in the future.

As for planting out, most people will soon be planting out their garlic for next year's harvest, so if you like garlic, best to find some good varieties ready for next month or November. Shallots could also be planted later for next year harvesting as well.

Not sure how large your falstaff tree will grow but you might find that very soon you'll want to hang onto every inch of planting space you have as you discover new fruit and veg varieties to try, or perhaps grow more of for storing/bottling, etc. Raspberries alone can take up a bit of space, same with blueberries, currants, etc. Those are things you can eat unlike a tree.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 19:40 »
I agree with Trillium.

You probably won't actually need the water when it's switched off but it's always useful to have the water butt as a back up.

Get the spuds out as they could harbour disease - and will doubtless be in the way of whatever else you want to grow.  Be prepared for these to keep coming up anyway!

I understand that Red Falstaff is an apple tree?  I would strongly advise against planting it out on the allotment (have you even checked that you are allowed trees?).   You have such a small plot, and it is so close to all the others, that its roots will over time interfere with veg crops on your plot and the surrounding ones, and the tree will also cast shade.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:59 »
Thanks both. I thought it was ok to get planting and already have some garlic, shallots and onions ready to be put in. Should I be using any manure at this time? I don't have any of my own green stuff ready yet so am not sure what I would use if I should.

I'll be getting rid of those potatoes and searching a part of the plot I know was full of them!

I just realised I had not said it was an apple tree! We are allowed trees but only smallish, and several other plots seem to have similar sized apple trees, but I had wondered about the roots situation.  I think we'll keep it at home for now then.

Any recommendations on cheapish water butts? I'll be asking others on the plot too as they all seem to have the same blue ones.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:45 »
Ask your neighbours if they can remember what crops were growing where so that you can avoid growing the same crops in the same place. You probably can guess where the potatoes were.

As well as the garlic etc, now is the time to plant spring cabbage. You should find plants in the garden centre, or your neighbours may have some spare.

Do not be in a hurry to plant the whole plot or to put manure on it. Better to take yor time and make sure the weeds are under control. You will not know what is there until next Spring.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37 »
I use a whellie bin as a water butt on my gardenshare... it's a start if you dont have one. Just dip you bucket in the top to get the water out..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Ricey

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 14:32 »
I wouldnt leave any bare patches of soil over the winter, seems a bit of a waste.
Do a bit of research on 'Green Manures'. Half my plot is now covered in Rye grass, Clover, Field Beans and Alfalfa..... It looks great, keeps weeds to a minimum and when dug in 3 to 4 weeks before spring planting, should provide my ground with a cheap source of nutrients.
It's a bit late in the season but I'm sure you'll find somehing that will do the job..... Maybe Mustard?
Good luck with ur lotty mate.

PS.... I'd defo get  a water But, I'm planning to have 3 or 4 and we have year round tap water access. It's not just that rain water is better than tap water, but also that you can make your own plant feeds by adding something like comfrey leaves to the but,. ideal for summer feeding.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 14:52 »
Your plot is fairly small so dont go overboard on growing things that take up a lot of space like main crop spuds that are so cheap to buy.. go for selected veg and enjoy the thrill of growing them..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 16:57 »
I wouldn't put manure where the garlic is being planted.  You don't want too much soft leafy growth before the winter.  If you have manure, either spread it elsewhere on the plot once dug, or cover and use in the spring.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 06:52 »
Thanks, for all the advice.  I'm going to get myself the water butt, and will look into the green manure situation. Am I right in thinking that I plant it now let it do it's thing over winter and then cut back if necessary and then dig it over as I already have done to put the green stuff back into the soil?

Ricey

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35 »
Thanks, for all the advice.  I'm going to get myself the water butt, and will look into the green manure situation. Am I right in thinking that I plant it now let it do it's thing over winter and then cut back if necessary and then dig it over as I already have done to put the green stuff back into the soil?

It all depends on what you sow.
Certain green manures will do different jobs so yo will need to do a little research/planning.
Green manures have differing growth habits too, some are very deep rooting which breaks up and conditions soil but is harder to dig in.... Hungarian rye is an example, however Italian rye is easier to dig in. So you see, you should read up a little before deciding.
This site has pretty good descriptions on various green manure seeds  .... http://www.greenmanure.co.uk/?gclid=CJ-f2aCqwqsCFUMOfAodXB5QtQ

Basically, you sow the seed as directed on the packet and with most you should first cut the growth to ground level and then turn over the earth, leaving the cuttings in place to break down in the soil.
The roots of the green manures will have to be chopped up pretty good as they contain many of the nutrients you are after and may grow back and become a pest. (Maybe a rotavator?)
The digging in should be done between 2 to 4 weeks before planting the area with your crops. This allows the nutrients to be released by the decomposing green manures.
The individual green manure seed package should give you info on how long to leave dug in before planting crops .
As you know, some crops like a lot of organic matter or compost whilst others don't. They also require differing amounts of certain nutrients, so you need to plan next years crops in line with what green maures you sow (Or visa versa). No need to be totally scientific about it because I doubt green manures will kill any of your crops -)

good luck.

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 15:00 »
Thanks Ricey - I have been on that website and it is useful.

I think the green manure business is too difficult for me at the moment as I do not have the right equipment to cut it down when it comes to that stage.

Instead, and I know it does not serve the same purpose, if I just want to keep my weeds controlled until Spring, could I just cover up the plot with cardboard?  I have access to lots from work, and I understand that it can be dug in come spring anyway?

Also, I know a place in Nottingham to get cheap straw/hay bales - would that be any good to my plot at all?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 19:52 »
Cardboard is a good suggestion for temporary weed suppressant.  Just make sure it's weighted down.

I wouldn't go for bales at present.  It can be useful for underneath strawberries during the main season although is also a slug harbour.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:27 »
Thanks Ricey - I have been on that website and it is useful.

I think the green manure business is too difficult for me at the moment as I do not have the right equipment to cut it down when it comes to that stage.

Instead, and I know it does not serve the same purpose, if I just want to keep my weeds controlled until Spring, could I just cover up the plot with cardboard?  I have access to lots from work, and I understand that it can be dug in come spring anyway?

Also, I know a place in Nottingham to get cheap straw/hay bales - would that be any good to my plot at all?
IMO better to use tiller or rotovator to fight weeds. Maybe twice or three times before spring,so you can borrow one(best is own).

xx
Plot clearing advice. Opinions and advice valued.

Started by Devondumpling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2017, 19:54
by snowdrops
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
New plot advice

Started by Suziet8 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 06:35
by Suziet8
xx
New Plot Advice Please

Started by min200 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 21:39
by woodburner

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.