Raised Beds

• 6 Replies

Bay Laurel

Raised Beds
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:51 »
Three years ago I created raised beds out of an old fence (I like recycling ) and replacement knees made it necessary.  These beds are 2' high by 4' wide by 6' long.  I filled the beds with about 8" spent straw, 8" seaweed and topped off the rest with sieved soil from the garden.  Obviously the straw and seaweed have decomposed with time and every year I have topped off with more sieved soil.  I find the raised beds very successful and productive.  Does anyone else?  I put it down to the fact that the soil is not compacted by walking on, but of course the wind gets a hold more easily therefore anchorage and some cloche protection is necessary early on in the season.  :nowink:

riggers24

Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 21:12 »
I've just put in 11 raised beds in my new allotment, like you said its because they are productive and not compacting the soil

Bay Laurel

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 22:56 »
I have 9 raised beds, however one I discount because it is my Asparagus section.  Currently, I have Garlic in one, Broad Beans in another, Onions in the third, the forth is awaiting Celery when large enough and the fifth has Carrots and Parsnips under cover.   Around the edge of the beds I dot lettuce, chives or spring onions or whatever I think might deter pests or attract pollinators.  Spraying is not in my vocabulary, I try to deter by using other means. 

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 23:17 »
Hi Bay Laurel,

We garden in deep bags encased in wooden or willow crates.  Lots of different depths and sizes.  great fun, but we do need to replenish the soil occasionally.  Not great for brassicas and the soil is too loose.

I know Findhorn very well.  My grandparents lived there, my aunt and now my sister.  Lovely part of the world.  But I know what you mean by the wind!!

Happy gardening!
Chrysalis

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:04 »
Totally agree! Raised beds are a lot of work to begin with but when they establish the work aspect is so much easier! The weeds can just be pulled and not dug out. I've been a fan of raised beds fr years...it's just getting hold of re-cycled wood that's the problem :)

Robster

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55 »
I have previously grown traditionally but I've been on raised beds in the garden and up the lofty for the last 7 years.  I'll never go back.  The soil structure through not walking on it is great.  Having manured and composted it thoroughly it is rich dark retains moisture well without flooding.  The biggest unexpected benefit is there is no down time it can be tended and worked all year from the paths.  Consequently I have more growing earlier than traditional growers up the lofty.

Finally the bed system helps immensely with the work load, a bed orientated target seems more achievable than a bigger goal.  The reward of achievement is motivating.

Bay Laurel

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:41 »
I agree with everything you have said, although my Brassicas are grown in a Wonderwall, as we have a big bird problem, Pigeons and Sparrows, together they will eat anything and everything, as we are self sufficient I cannot afford that.  Bay Laurel

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
my new raised beds

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 08:01
by Patricia
xx
raised beds

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 16:26
by kentishlad
xx
raised beds

Started by cockneycarrot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2007, 19:49
by jack russell

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 35 queries.