Taking on a pig sty allotment, hunting suggestions.

• 10 Replies

Hobovore

Taking on a pig sty allotment, hunting suggestions.
« on: August 18, 2019, 18:13 »
Hi,

I have just taken over another plot that is a literal pig sty ( voluntarily). It looks like it will even take a year to sort out.

I have put some pictures on the the thread to give you an idea of what it is like. I feel a little lost with it and I am fishing for suggestions on what to do with it and how to progress.

Some points of note:

• I can move the small gas canisters but can not fit the large one in my car.
    Behind the stables the wall is "loose" and the is a pile of asbestos.
    I intend to have bee's at the back tree line, the site also allows, sheep, goats, horses, ducks, and poultry ( Pigs and do breeding are on a legacy basis).
    There is a pipe with running water but capped off, I need to install my own tap.  I took the cap off to check...and got wet. 
IMG_20190818_124345.jpg
IMG_20190818_124355.jpg
IMG_20190818_124401.jpg
IMG_20190818_124433.jpg
IMG_20190818_124450.jpg
IMG_20190818_124425.jpg

Hobovore

Re: Taking on a pig sty allotment, hunting suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 18:15 »
Few more relevant pics
IMG_20190818_124418.jpg
IMG_20190818_124425.jpg
IMG_20190818_124428.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 09:07 »
And that counts as an allotment plot?  :ohmy:
I think it's the site owner's responsibility to arrange asbestos removal, it is here, anyway.
I'd push the dodgy wall over before it falls on someone.
Chicken keeping would work well, by the looks of things, and if you attached some polytunnel sheeting over some of it you'd have a fantastic protected growing area.
Good luck!

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:14 »
I was wondering where the allotment was until the last picture. I would ignore all the dodo and ask the landowner to remove it. I'd start by chopping down a small area of the overgrown bit and then digging it over carefully to remove weeds/roots/rubbish. If you're happy using weedkiller you could chop it all down and then treat the regrowth with weedkiller before digging. Then either cover that area with cardboard, or keep it well hoed and move onto another small area.

The key will be doing little and often and keeping control of what you have cleared. Good luck, looks like a challenge :)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00 »
I got stuck at asbestos.  :ohmy: Should they be letting you have it if there is asbestos?
I know there is different types of asbestos. Some more hazardous than others but it can be very expensive and you do not want to foot the bill. Looking at your pictures, you need a skip.
You need to check who is responsible for removing all that, the people who run the allotment or you and phone the council-who should know. I would imagine that they should hand it over to you in a safe situation which that is not, if anything it's actively hazardous and maybe help you strim it back.
I've heard of allotments that do, ours does if you don't keep it mannered. It's how we got our second plot, the man who runs it was sick of strimming it and made it our problem.

Other than that I urge you borrow some waders and a strimmer. After the brambles have fruited and you've picked them. Hence the waders to protect your everything. Fork it over, taking out all the roots Then ground cover if you can afford it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:02 by WeavingGryphon »

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 14:29 »
Posting again because I don't know if you know this and I'd better not assume you know.

There have been a lot of buildings that had asbestos removed in Aberdeen in the past few years. I worked in a building that was having it removed, and there was a warehouse opposite that had asbestos in the walls.

The building had entire floors sealed off, double sealed entrances to form airlocks to prevent it escaping. The windows were sealed as were the stairs. The people doing the work wore full hazmat with breathing apparatus and had to decontaminate coming out. Special removal of suits and the asbesdos. We knew people who died from working on that building when the stuff was put in.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT. If the people who let the plot to you weren't doing anything about it that stuff is probably the more stable form that won't do anything unless you muck with it (what was in the warehouse). But that may not be the case, they could be the sort of lazy people who let an allotment with glass, gas canisters, asbestos sheets lying about, unstable buildings and crumbling walls. Also people "found" and used things that had "fallen off the back of a lorry" and that might be why you've the pleasure of dealing with it.

To find out what form it is you will need it checked out by a professional and that is expensive.

Hobovore

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 17:29 »
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not sure if the land owners know as the previous holder told me and I have not seen for myself yet due to not being able to get back there, same goes with checking just how 'loose' the wall is, I can not reach it from either side.

I did do some research and the local dump will accept domestic deposits of asbestos. I have copy and pasted it below for the curious:

"Small amounts of asbestos can be deposited at a limited number of household waste recycling centres by members of the public.

All asbestos should be:

double wrapped in heavy gauge polythene sheets (available from DIY stores)
sealed with strong adhesive tape (to prevent the release of dust)
labelled ‘asbestos waste’
Failure to do this will result in the waste being refused;

A maximum of 3 sheets, or equivalent, of asbestos from householders, per month, that measure no more than 20cm high, 150 cm wide and 180cm long.

When delivering asbestos please report to the weighbridge on arrival or see a member of staff on site as asbestos needs to be logged when brought onto site to monitor capacity. Your details will be recorded so what we can monitor frequency."

So this may be an option, depending on what is there. As for the canisters I can move the small ones myself but not the large one, I am hoping it still actually has some gas in it and then I may able to find someone to take it if they get the 'free gas'.

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 18:40 »
Wow, thought mine was bad.  Good luck with that.  My cynical side says make sure you have an agreement for long term use before clearing that lot up.  Otherwise you might be seen as temp free labour....

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 07:48 »
I am not sure if the land owners know as the previous holder told me and I have not seen for myself yet due to not being able to get back there, same goes with checking just how 'loose' the wall is, I can not reach it from either side.

I am curious about how he knows, and the land owners don't.
The land owners need to know-recorded and in writing.
You have to consider if something happens where the buck would stop. At the minute, it could be with you and for all you know your plot might not be the only plot it's on.

jambop

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29 »
Horses for courses I know but I would not go near that place if you paid me.... surely there must be some alternative to this the work involved clearing the dodgey building works will probably break your spirit before you get near to clearing that jungle of weeds... which look like they are very perennial ... mind you if you could get the whole area fenced of and introduce some pigs, which you say are allowed, they would make short work of a lot that for you. You are braver than me taking that lot on.

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 22:38 »
Hi,
I'm a little jealous as it has a lot of potential.
A skip would be a good start, but first go though all the stuff lying around and keep what you can use and put in a safe area.  The land owner should be responsible for paying for the rest of the clearance.

How secure is the site?  Have you every looked into Aquaponics (fish and veg grown togeather)?  That would be a great area for it, search for Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on you tube. 

Good luck and stay safe, keep us updated.

Dan :D :D
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

question
Taking over abandoned allotment - where to start?

Started by midgetgerm on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 11:00
by martybenji
xx
Taking it easy

Started by celeriac on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 08:05
by celeriac
xx
Taking off Netting

Started by Arls0308 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 15:20
by Arls0308
xx
Taking Cuttings

Started by WendysLot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 12:34
by WendysLot

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 50 queries.