Roma tomatoes

• 39 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Roma tomatoes
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2020, 17:27 »
Well my opinion, for what it is worth, is that life is too short to be splitting tomato pips.  Even if what you grow is not quite as good as it would be grown in its homeland, if it crops, it tastes good and you are happy with it, that is what matters.

My toms are from all over - 1 from the Ukraine, another an American variety.  They are still way, way better than anything I can buy, are never sprayed with anything and freshly picked as needed  :)
Here here!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 08:44 »
I suppose it's like Jersey New Royal potatoes - aka International Kidney.  Best grown in the conditions in Jersey, but growable elsewhere.

It's horses for courses!  We each do our best with the conditions we have  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2020, 11:03 »
I suppose it's like Jersey New Royal potatoes - aka International Kidney.  Best grown in the conditions in Jersey, but growable elsewhere.

Definitely applies to garlic too!

(Jerseys in the shops have been very poor this year - well, around here they have...! Have you tried the Kent ones, probably from New Romney, Mum/Aunt? They've been fabulous)!

(Growster, the topic is ROMA TOMS, try and keep up..:0(

jambop

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2020, 12:00 »

No disagreement at all, but when you have a short and unpredictable growing season I would always try to match a variety with that... for that reason Roma is probably  a much better choice that San Marzano to grow in the UK. Needs no looking after at all other than a spray with BM now and then and it give a very good crop of tomatoes about two weeks earlier than San Marzano in my experience. Roma flavor maybe not as good as SM but when you are going to struggle to get them properly ripened anyway earlier would be better... IMO . One other point. Just because a tomato is red does not mean it is properly ripened :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2020, 14:14 »
We are not permitted to use Bordeaux Mixture in the UK as you’ve been told before, jambop.

Please try to remember this so that I don’t have to keep reminding you.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2020, 14:38 »
I am trying a new plum tommy this year. Seeds Direct's Amish Paste and they are looking really good, massive plums, far bigger than the owd San Marzano, just hope they taste good.
The problems you face growing tomatoes like San Marzano, is that they are a variety that is at home growing on the slopes around the foothills of Vesuvius near the bay of Naples , not around the bay of Blackpool. I am at an advantage to you when it comes to growing these tomatoes ... and I cannot get the conditions that they grow best in, and therefore they are not as good as those grown in Italy... that is before you even bring the effect of terroir into the equation. For that reason I think you will struggle to grow a good owd San Marzano tomato anywhere in the UK.
To be honest over the years we have always had a great crop from the San Marzano's, in fact I still have about a dozen bags of passata in the freezer from last year, just fancied something different this year.

Looking like a decent crop, most trusses have 4 or 5 tommys on with the odd one with 3.
Photo below shows the rough size

Yes Aunty it probably is the same North as you visited unless you was on the East Side of North which is normally very dark  :lol: :lol: :lol:
20200711_174802.jpg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 14:40 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jambop

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 16:57 »
I am trying a new plum tommy this year. Seeds Direct's Amish Paste and they are looking really good, massive plums, far bigger than the owd San Marzano, just hope they taste good.
The problems you face growing tomatoes like San Marzano, is that they are a variety that is at home growing on the slopes around the foothills of Vesuvius near the bay of Naples , not around the bay of Blackpool. I am at an advantage to you when it comes to growing these tomatoes ... and I cannot get the conditions that they grow best in, and therefore they are not as good as those grown in Italy... that is before you even bring the effect of terroir into the equation. For that reason I think you will struggle to grow a good owd San Marzano tomato anywhere in the UK.
To be honest over the years we have always had a great crop from the San Marzano's, in fact I still have about a dozen bags of passata in the freezer from last year, just fancied something different this year.

Looking like a decent crop, most trusses have 4 or 5 tommys on with the odd one with 3.
Photo below shows the rough size

Yes Aunty it probably is the same North as you visited unless you was on the East Side of North which is normally very dark  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nothing wrong in that Aidy. I tend to stick to tomatoes I know work in my situation, probably the same as you do, but even with the good long summers we get down here San Marzano is a tomato that tends to be a late ripen-er in my garden. This is, or has not been, a problem for me since I started growing them here about ten years ago. We can and very often do get amazing weather right into late October. The only thing then is we do start to get a bit of rain from time to time which does cause problems with the plants and they do need treatments.
Re your passata have you thought about bottling ? What you can do is collect a load of 500ml beer bottles, the crown cap type... which in its self is a great pleasure having to empty them :lol:. You then can wash and fill them with your passata whack in a crown cap and heat treat them in a boiler, decent sized galv dustbin works well, for about 90 mins at a constant rolling boil. I use a gas ring and butane but you can even do this on a fire made from scrap wood in the garden, you only need to keep the water boiling, to keep it really cheap. After the heating once cooled they will keep for over a year in a beer crate or cupboard saves valuable space in the freezer. I use la Parfait jars but the are expensive and decent beer bottles do just as well provided you do not over fill they need about a good inch or so empty at the top.
 My try out for this year is to sun dry some of the Roma's I am growing. Principe de Borghese  are the favoured tom but I only have Roma so Roma it is! Only need our usual late summer sun as you need a couple weeks dry weather.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 19:14 »

I spotted you there, Aidy  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 21:12 »
I’ve been to both, Aidy.  They were both cold, wet and windy.  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 21:56 »
I’ve been to both, Aidy.  They were both cold, wet and windy.  :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Roma Tomatoes

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 15:06
by compostqueen
xx
Roma tomatoes

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 14:28
by jambop
xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
xx
Roma - pinching out?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 07:03
by coatesi

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 50 queries.