Is it to early to put tom's in u/heated g/h

• 8 Replies

Sleepingpopman

• Experienced Member
Is it to early to put tom's in u/heated g/h
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:15 »
Hiya all on this sunny morning  :)
Now the weather is picking up & the forecast looks good is it to early to plant our
two tomato plants out in our unheated greenhouse. It's in full sun all day &
the temp in it gets up to 30/45 degree's at this time of year  8) & down to about 5/6
at night so I've been putting them in there in the day & fetching them in at night but
 there getting a bit to big & are in need of planting into there buckets which are then
to heavy for carrying about. Any thought's ? ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is it to early to put tom's in u/heated g/h
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 09:36 »
We're all in the same boat  ::)
I'm thinking of putting some of mine out (the bigger ones) - but will fleece them every night as they really need warmer nights than we are getting, even inside the greenhouse  :(

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22 »
I've been leaving my toms in the inner greenhouse within the unheated greenhouse for about a week now. They don't seem to have suffered. I'm thinking of planting some out in the borders this weekend.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:51 »
My young tomato plants have been growing on in my unheated greenhouse now for nearly 3 weeks to no ill effect, whereas a couple of plants in the conservatory got a bit stunted with the cold last week. Opposite to what I'd thought would happen lol!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 13:01 »
Remember to take your local climate into account - stating the obvious, it is usually colder in the Northern half of the country than it is in the South.

Even here in the SE there are many more frosts than in London and its surrounds.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 15:59 »
If you look at (and believe  ::)) long range weather forecasts the nights round these parts look to be getting a bit cold again in about a week's time.

Fleece only provides limited protection in a greenhouse, but with only two plants it wouldn't be too difficult to wrap them up if it does actually get cold, and if the worst happens you could always buy a couple of replacements quite cheaply.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 16:18 »
Mine have been in the cold greenhouse for a month. Not much top growth but you can bet the roots are delving down.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

mrsbean

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 00:05 »
Mine have also been in a cold greenhouse down the plot for over a month. Had to bring them home yesterday to pot on to bigger pots, taking them back down tomorrow, some will go in the border eventually, some outside. Such a fiddle having to do this. It,s a good thing that my plants do not get car sick with all the back and forth especially if i do  not get chance to plant want i take down. 

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:48 »
Our greenhouse has an electric heater, which only kicks in when the temperature gets close to zero.

There are sixty-five tomato and several cucumbers in there, and they don't seem to worry even if it does get a bit chilly, so I'd have thought a well-grown plant wouldn't worry either!

Toms really rely on good light rather than heat, so keep them in the open if you can!

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 36 queries.