feeders and drinkers

• 4 Replies

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
feeders and drinkers
« on: February 23, 2009, 15:05 »
Hello everyone

I am hoping to pick your brains if i may. I have finished building the chicken coop and pen and i now need to look at feeders and drinkers.
Now the plan is to build a lean to out of clear polycarbonate plastic on a wooden frame with a couple of hooks in it, and place/hang the drinker and feeder under here as opposed to keeping it in the coop itself, firstly is this a good idea? and secondly as i am planning on get 8 warren hens what size feeder/drinker should i get, i was thinking of either a galvernised one or possibly a larger tripod style one. I guess what i am asking is what sort of size (litre capcity) is suitable for 8 hens, from what i have read a hen will eat roughly 130g of layers pellets a day, so thats 1040g or just over a kilo of pellets a day, what does this equiate to in lirte capacity?

the same question for a drinker what would be a suitable size for 8 hens?

the coop is on the allotment so i will only be down their twice a day for a few hours during the week would i be better off with a greater capcity feeder and drinker, or is their a risk the food would go stale if left in the feeder for more than a couple of days
( i assume not as you can buy in sacks that are supposed to last weeks) but no harm in checking.

any way thankyou for any help you can give.

Paul

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: feeders and drinkers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 15:17 »
You need to put in enough for one day and refill it every morning because if you leave it overnight it will attract rats etc.
You put the sack in a rat-proof/waterproof  container such as a metal dustbin with a tight lid.

Our feeder looks like the one below:

the website says it will hold enough for 20 for one day.
The plastic ones are easier to clean, but the metal ones do last longer.

It's good to site the food under a shelter like you're making.
stops it getting wet and mouldy.

You'll need a drinker too and change it everyday cos they'll fill it with soil when they're scavanging.
The one below is 8litres, but I'm not sure that would be big enough for 8 hens.

someone will be along in a moment with more info...
3kg_green_white_poultry_feeder_200.jpg
8l_green_white_poultry_drinker_200.jpg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 15:19 by andreadon »

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 21:43 »
I use 2 drinkers 1x 3ltr 1x 5ltr for 11 birds 2 reasons for this if one gets knocked over then they will still have access to water and if i am delayed going to them the water will last the 2nd reason is only valid if like me you leave the poop hole open 24/7

poppies

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06 »
Hi  I am not on site with my poultry all day so what  I do is fill their drinkers up but I always leave a bucket of water as well in case they knock over the drinker or sometimes they will clog up, at least then  you know they can get to water.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 13:58 »
Good idea.
We have two food containers anyway (the second one is a bread tin) because Sandra gets pushed out.
Our waterer hangs up and and is usually okay - but I agree with having an extra one there too: maybe a ceramic dog bowl.

Or knowing our lot, a great big muddy puddle....
 ::)

xx
feeders and drinkers

Started by mumof4 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 15:15
by Porffor
xx
Feeders and drinkers

Started by asd1 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 08:40
by Abacus
xx
drinkers and feeders

Started by snow white on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 12:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feeders and Drinkers

Started by Blondie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 21:48
by slowef

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.