Hen stopped laying and may be losing weight

• 6 Replies

Flyin Chickens

« on: June 12, 2008, 14:22 »
I have 2 hens who have been very regular layers since I got them at POL just over 1 year ago.

They went from 1 each a day pre winter to 1-2 between them during winter and then back up to 1 each a day post winter (all as I expected if not a bit better)

HOWEVER I have now for the past 2 weeks only seen 1 a day between them and I have noticed that one of the girls may be loosing weight (when comparing the two they were like twins for weight and look and now there is a definite difference.

I am unsure if it is just one hen laying/which one it is or if they are just taking a breather.

Fannyann

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 15:57 »
is the one who is losing weight eating and drinking? is she ok in herself?

could be a number of things and i'm sure someone will be along soon to offer some other ideas.

Flyin Chickens

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 16:06 »
They are both eating and drinking as before.  Their feeder is in the coop but I give them plenty of other scraps which she eats her fair share.

I have even been ensuring that she has the larger number of worms when I am turning the soil over in their border.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 17:29 »
If she was my chicken I would take her to see a vet.  She does have a problem if she is eating, not laying and still losing weight.  A shot or two of antibiotics at least may be required.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 19:11 »
I work at a vets and we see a few chickens - normally we charge very little to see them, it does depend on the vet though....

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 20:53 »
Hiya flying chickens -just a few questions...have they been wormed recently? This can affect their weight if one of them has a high worm load,it would also affect laying.
Talking of parasites a rather nasty one is red mite-sometimes not that easy to detect but prolific this time of year.
Also their combs and faces -are they still nice and red. Combs are a good indictor of overall health, for example if a bird is a bit aneamic due to red mite or ill health their comb and face often go a bit pale, or tinged with blue.
Check vents and droppings, messy bottoms often are a clue to the presence of worms. Droppings also give us an idea around their general health -although you can get a bit paranoid! :lol: Check out Aunties' sticky for more info there -or just post a question after dinner please (Auntie is the resident expert on chicken poo!!! :lol:  :lol: )
Finally have a look at nostris beaks and eyes for any evidence of discharge, frothiness or perhaps sneezing/wheezing, the hen would then need a short course of antibiotics from the vet.
Hope she is back laying soon -in the meantime a little pick me up of poultry vits might be a good idea just to ensure getting all necessary nutrients.Feed is quite important to ensure laying well -too many treats can disrupt laying.
Hope this helps and keep us posted! :lol:  :lol:

georgewoodman

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 21:27 »
hello flyin

I was in the same position a month or so ago with one of mine, in fact I thought I may lose her.  Took her to the vet who wormed her and gave her an antibiotic shot and gave me five more syringes (filled with antibiotic) to inject her with over the next week.   Now she is absolutely fine again although not laying as yet.   Comb and wattles beginning to come back to normal again too.   So hopefully all will be well for yours too.

Good luck

George

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Stopped laying

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 08:28
by Casey76
xx
Hen stopped laying....?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 11:18
by ANHBUC
xx
Just stopped laying

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 18:54
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.