When to start blanching leeks

• 10 Replies

Goosegirl

When to start blanching leeks
« on: July 05, 2010, 15:30 »
I have been given about 2 dozen old land drainage tiles to blanch my leeks with. Having never blanched them before, at what stage do I put them over the plants? They are Musselburgh and Robinson's Mammoth and are about 10-12" high. Do I wait until autumn?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
Re: When to start blanching leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 19:47 »
In my opinion you are looking to make yourself some work that is unnecessary.

If you've popped your leeks into a 6" hole they'll grow and produce a nice long white section without any other help.

If you are looking to grow something extraordinary or produce leeks for show then maybe you should utilise your 'tiles' (pipes?), but I'll leave any advice on that to others.
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 20:38 »
autmn is the time to start blanching but i'm with WW on this easier to just dibb them in and its not too late only put mine in this w'end

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 23:24 »
The great thing about leeks is that once you've stuck em in the ground you can forget about em...unless you're entering them in a show. Most of us here are growing for food and if you pop the leeks in a hole you'll get nice blanched stems so why make more work?

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 15:27 »
Thanks for that. They were dibbed in a 6" hole as you thought, but in other years the white stem is not as long as my OH wants. He makes such brilliant meals (previously was a chef) so I can't complain. I'll put my land tiles (like a terracotta pipe and about 1ft long) over them in autumn and see where we go. To the kitchen I hope - so love leeks!!!!! :lol:

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 16:33 »
Personally, tried the old bogroll inner trick last year on a much wider scale than I had tried before and concluded that I simply can't be bothered with all that faffing when as has been already said, extra-enthusiasm at the dib and plant out stage returns six or seven inches of white leek.  Not doing it therefore this year.

Mind you I have been accused of taking things too far in being tight anyhow given that when finished cutting off the white, partly white and slightest hint of vaguely whitish bits of my leeks I like to chop up the inescapably green tops (after removing the tattiest bits of course) and boiling them up with my tatties for mashing.  Adds a lovely je ne sais quoi and in particular adds a bit of extra interest to the top sof cottage pie and suchlike.

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 16:49 »
Yummy - yum-yum hamstergbert!!! You're quite right and if it were me....but it ain't...maybe I can persuade him to add a bit of leek greenery to a cottage pie or several! Leeks with cheese? Leek with mash? Leek with double cream? As for my other fave parsnips - with honey glaze? Roasted in salted butter? With nutmeg? Mashed with creme fraiche?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue2:

hamstergbert

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 18:27 »
Droooooooooooooooooooooooooool....

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 19:36 »
I did the toilet roll thing last year too but as soon as they got wet most of them started to unfurl.

My leeks are still so slender this year that if I put them in a 6" deep hole and cover them with a loo roll inner they wouldn't see the light of day for months!!!
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 19:46 »
Mind you I have been accused of taking things too far in being tight anyhow given that when finished cutting off the white, partly white and slightest hint of vaguely whitish bits of my leeks I like to chop up the inescapably green tops (after removing the tattiest bits of course) and boiling them up with my tatties for mashing.  Adds a lovely je ne sais quoi and in particular adds a bit of extra interest to the top sof cottage pie and suchlike.

All my tops get sliced, fried and frozen, ready to join left over (or fresh) mashed potatoes to make soup ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 19:46 »
Having helped to make sure my leek seedlings suffered every bit of mocking laughter and sympathy I could extract from them on this forum I just went "with the flow" and did as I was told (dib, dib dib!) and, well, I'm not exactly proud of them yet but they ain't half bad (at the moment!)  :nowink:  
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Blanching Leeks

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 17:39
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Blanching leeks

Started by mattwragg94 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 15:44
by Salmo
xx
Blanching leeks

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 12:57
by compostqueen
clip
Blanching leeks, to late?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2020, 13:00
by cc

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.