That's me done with brassicas.

• 23 Replies

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: That's me done with brassicas.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 10:58 »
I used debris netting to protect my brassicas last year and this year

Last year no damage at all by caterpillars

This year the cabbage whites got in through the eyelet gaps by folding their wings

They ruined my cabbages ,sprouts and kale(which they never touched last year,even when some wasn't netted)

It was a nightmare trying to pick off the caterpilars and keep on replacing the netting

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 11:08 »
No, non-organic commercial growers have an arsenal of chemicals instead
And, in my case, that's a key reason for growing them(all veg in fact) rather than buying produce in the Supermarket

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 11:09 »
This year the cabbage whites got in through the eyelet gaps by folding their wings
I hope the evolved types don't migrate here!

I have known of people showing up the eyelets.  Dunno how hard, or otherwise, that is though.

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18 »
Or strong tape over the eyelets?  And making sure where netting meets soil there's a perfect seal?

It's all a bit of faff, but while we're faffing we could lay weed membrane as well and plant through that, so there's no maintenance.  You could even water through the netting if you wanted to.

I think we must all value the crop when we can get it, so I hope the op will persevere.  By chewing the cud we seem to come up with solutions to any problem.  That, I think, is the power of this forum.

Best wishes

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

bravemurphy

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 12:18 »
You will never stop them completely I don't think because I caught some commando catterpilers crawling across the floor and going under the netting >:(

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 19:59 »
The only brassica we grow is kale (Starbor) because it recovers after the caterpillars have finished, and we get our crop then. 

Late September/early October I go over the plants, stripping-off all the eaten leaves and any caterpillars, and throw them away, to leave just the stalk and 2 or 3 of the very smallest new leaves at the top. I give the plants a bit of liquid feed at this stage to encourage them, and find they grow back quickly with nice undamaged leaves.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 20:42 »

I have known of people showing up the eyelets.  Dunno how hard, or otherwise, that is though.

I just get some thick twine/string and weave it through the eyelets all the way along. It is very easy to do even on my 6m long tunnels. I find this is a good compromise between sewing them up which is a faff when you don't have a machine and leaving them empty. Having the twine running through means the gap (although still slightly bigger than the netting holes) is much smaller and cuts down the risk hugely. I have only lost one cabbage to caterpillars and I think the eggs probably got laid on the day I opened the tunnel to weed and the whites were flying everywhere...

gobs

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 22:49 »

You hope! Lol! Just like that they get in, I watched them, many a time. Wings flats, squeezing, no flying involved.

Indeed, they are evolving to cope, I have been thinking on many occasions.

And then, if nothing else, they start laying on chards and such...
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 08:23 »
You hope! Lol! Just like that they get in, I watched them, many a time.
Well, like I said, not here, not yet. Been using debris netting for 6 years or so and not had a problem yet.  Plenty of cabbage whites flying around during the summer ...

... unless there are different types of debris netting, as someone else proposed earlier in the thread.

xx
Get those brassicas in!

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 20:12
by nilsatis1964
xx
Brassicas

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 19:10
by RaptorUK
xx
Brassicas

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 00:18
by seaside
xx
Brassicas

Started by Judithm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 17:01
by DD.

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.