help with brassicas

• 16 Replies

borderowl

help with brassicas
« on: May 19, 2013, 16:11 »
Hi folks! Having another go with brassicas, cabbage, sprouts, broccoli and cauli. lost them all last year to cabbage root fly. I'm starting to put them out to harden off, they're still in pots. Will they need any protection? If so what's best to use? thanks people. Kev

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
Re: help with brassicas
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 16:23 »
You could always use veg protection collars ... i dont bother myself  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 16:54 »
You can use the collars to stop cabbage root fly, however you might as well cover with fine netting and stop the birds and butterflies as well  :D

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 22:37 »
Having had root fly early last year on a netted bed, while the cabbage collars sat in their packet in the greenhouse  ..... collar and net for me from now on  :D

borderowl

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 15:50 »
Thanks! How fine a netting do I need?Kev

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 16:33 »
I use enviromesh type netting - there are cheaper versions.
It's very fine and I use it for everything!

barley

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 22:18 »
hi kev

I use old pop bottles a couple of straight twigs and grass mulch !!!! all freebys
works every year for me
might loose the odd one but 99% grow on healthy

place cut pop bottle over transplaned seedlings with 2 twigs down the sides , then mulch with plenty of grass clippings ......... when baby cabbages etc are about 8 inches high remove sticks and bottle and bobs your uncle !!!!

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:01 »
Agreed, netting and collars, although the latter can be made out of anything that will stop the eggs( laid by the adults around the base of the plant) from getting to the soil e.g cardboard, thick polythene, etc. - just make sure you cut slots around the hole in the middle to allow the stalk to expand as it grows.

Having had root fly early last year on a netted bed, while the cabbage collars sat in their packet in the greenhouse  ..... collar and net for me from now on  :D.
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 19:41 »
I love that Barley- have you used it for PSB seedlings? am very nervous putting them out due to pigeons.

No one seems to mulch on our site so here was I thinking I'm going to be the only plot holder with grass/bark/compost mulch etc. so pleased it's not just me.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 22:48 »
Every time I put down a grass mowings mulch on something, the blackbirds go screaming in there and chuck it all over the place. I don't know why, but they just seem to feel compelled to trash it.

ptarmigan

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 09:37 »
Hi Barely

Loved your idea - cut down some bottles and went up to the plot last night in a gale (!) to try it out on newly planted brussels.  Will go up tonight and see it they bottles have stayed in one place. Ta. 

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07 »
I use collars cut out of carpet underlay.  We keep a roll in the loft just for this purpose.  I've never had a problem with root fly but then maybe I wouldn't have had anyway :)

barley

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 10:35 »
I love that Barley- have you used it for PSB seedlings? am very nervous putting them out due to pigeons.

No one seems to mulch on our site so here was I thinking I'm going to be the only plot holder with grass/bark/compost mulch etc. so pleased it's not just me.

I use them for as many plants as I can ....... Leeks , sweetcorn , all brassicas , lettuce , broad beans etc
they act as a mini greenhouse , and protect against birds & slugs until the plant is a little more established
the only draw back is you have to like drinking pop LOL!!!!!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 16:37 »

I use them for as many plants as I can ....... Leeks , sweetcorn , all brassicas , lettuce , broad beans etc
they act as a mini greenhouse , and protect against birds & slugs until the plant is a little more established
the only draw back is you have to like drinking pop LOL!!!!!

I have a 5ft home made pop bottle 'lean to greenhouse' which took me a year of collecting..... and 3 teenagers.  Bottle are not really a problem  :D, what to prioritise them for might be- I could do an extension to grrenhouse/make one for the lottie/pinking shear slug prevention collars/mini guttering cloche and now brassica collar

barley

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2013, 22:09 »
LOL .......... you sound like you need to go on a pop bottle raid on bin recycle days !!!

xx
Brassicas

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 18:48
by RJR_38
xx
brassicas

Started by iggyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 21:37
by Livinhope
xx
brassicas

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 04, 2006, 22:33
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Not brassicas

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 03, 2009, 20:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 30 queries.