Veg Competitions

• 6 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Veg Competitions
« on: July 22, 2007, 15:40 »
Althoguh a first year plotter, thought I'D HAVE A BIT OF FUN and enter a couple of competitions :D  :D
EG in the class for 6 potatoes, which is more important, size or uniformity:
I have 6 big Desire pink skins, all sort of oval, but fairly irregular. Or I could choose 6 smaller ones a bit more uniform in shape.
Which option would you advise and have you any other advice about these competitions :?:
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
Veg Competitions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 16:43 »
When showing vegetables you need to aim for identical vegetables. It's better to show 6 matching potatoes which are slightly smaller than 6 irregular shaped potatoes. Any other questions just ask!

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Veg Competitions
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 16:59 »
Quote from: "Lesley Jay"
When showing vegetables you need to aim for identical vegetables. It's better to show 6 matching potatoes which are slightly smaller than 6 irregular shaped potatoes. Any other questions just ask!

Many thanks Lesley; I'll do just that ......... its only a bit of fun; we pay 30 pence per entry. How long do you thing runner beans should be to have a chance?
Jim

Lesley Jay

Veg Competitions
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 19:25 »
With runner beans you should be looking at about 12 inches but the most important things with runners beans is freshness and being as straight as possible. Pick your beans on the morning of the show. That way when the judge breaks one in half it will snap rather than bend. As I said - as straight as possible.

Lesley Jay

Veg Competitions
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 19:43 »
One variety that I have seen on the show bench is Lberty. I have just taken a quick look at the details for this bean and it can grow up to 20 inches!

black diamond

Veg Competitions
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 20:09 »
If you have decided which local show to enter I should get a schedule,which should list all the classes and a few hints on showing and staging,eg

David.

Veg Competitions
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 22:23 »
Speak with your local show secretary/horticultural secretary for advice/copy of show schedule.

'Growing for Showing' by George Whitehead is a handy 176p book (Faber 1978 (out of print) isbn 0571112064 or 0571117066 for paperback) if you can locate a copy.

xx
VEG COMPETITIONS

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 20:44
by DD.
xx
Allotment competitions

Started by cawdor2001 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 03, 2008, 21:10
by cawdor2001

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 38 queries.