Grass

• 2 Replies

st0ne5ish

Grass
« on: October 30, 2010, 23:09 »
The land my new plot is on used to be grass, the farmer ploughed it over before marking out the allotment plots.

I've put out strawberry runners, onions, garlic and some fruit bushes.

However now the grass is starting to grow back up, I have already marked out and dug my beds over adding manure so it's not as bad as those peoples who have not yet done this, a lot of plots now resemble lawns.

I guess my options are to try and pull it out as it comes up, this is a pain as there are a lot of individual shoots or add some kind of mulch/barrier?

Would covering the whole of the unused beds with cardboard be a good idea? Would that kill of the grass completely if I leave it there till spring?

Adding cardboard between the onions/garlic/strawberries would be a lot more difficult.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Grass
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:26 »
I doubt it would kill off couch grass (the one with thin white roots like piano wire), might kill off regular grass (fibrous roots) but of course plants are going into dormacy now so you might find they regrow in spring.  Can't do any harm though, if you have the cardboard to spare.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Grass
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26 »
You will probably never "get rid" of the grass but you can "control" it. You need to keep on top of it with regular digging/weeding. For some while it will seem a thankless task but after a year or so you will notice that you have a lot less of it than your neighbours who leave it until the spring to deal with.

Make sure you break the soil down when you dig and remove all weeds/roots.

Do all of the things you mention on your existing beds

How do I know this - I'm a year in front of you.  :)

Cheers, WG

xx
Please tell me it's not grass...

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 21:39
by crackedflowerpots
xx
Grass

Started by babypoogle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 19:50
by richyrich7
xx
too much grass

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 21:43
by richyrich7
xx
Grass

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 10, 2016, 20:01
by greenjay

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 35 queries.