Chilli plants - keep in pots or other?

• 14 Replies

MrsR

« on: June 22, 2007, 22:31 »
I've grown chilli's from seeds and they are all in large posts now, the plants are about 5cms in height - is it best to keep them in pots or another way?    

We don't have a greenhouse at all.   Is it best to keep them in or out or is that totally dependant on the weather?

sorry for all the questions!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 22:38 »
What type are they? I fyou know let me know, some are ok in pots others will need bigger root areas.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

MrsR

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 22:38 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
What type are they? I fyou know let me know, some are ok in pots others will need bigger root areas.

Stupidly I didn't keep the packet!    
Idiot rookie mistake eh!  :oops:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 22:52 »
:lol:  no worries, most will grow ok, if they area  small bush type you should be ok but they are somethig like Habernero or Jalpeno and most other larger plants then you will eed to get them in bigger pots, some chillies prefer warmer areas so it might be they will produce very little, at the end of the day keep them happy and see what happens.

MrsR

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 22:56 »
They definately aren't Habernero or Jalpeno

splodger

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:51 »
i grow my chillies and sweet peppers outside and have always had good crops.

i've got a few in the flower beds at home - the rest in a bed at lottie. my plot is very exposed so i have tent cloches turned on their side protecting them from the wind - there are alot of fruits forming on my chillies already.

if you have the space - you will be safe to plant them out - and protect them if you have cloches

MrsR

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 11:33 »
Thanks

ness

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 18:51 »
I have had limited success with chillis in pots but I happened to plant one out last year, in a sunny sheltered position and I had so many chillis, I didn't know what to do with them.

MrsR

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 20:16 »
I like the sound of that ness - more chillis than I know what to do with - never happen in my house, me and my husband are chilli mental!

hammers07

chillis outdoors
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 20:21 »
I grew some chillis last year from some plants bought from garden centre.

I just planted them outside in garden and all four plants grew without any problems. loads of fruit (chillis) so many i had to give them away. It may have been because we had such a hot summer last year.
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

mushroom

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 13:39 »
Quote from: "ness"
I have had limited success with chillis in pots but I happened to plant one out last year, in a sunny sheltered position and I had so many chillis, I didn't know what to do with them.

make chili chutney and use it with beef... Or mix chopped chilis with fresh grated ginger and juice from 1 lemon and half a lime, a bit of freshly milled black pepper and a pinch of salt, and use the mix to stuff a fresh mackerel, grill the mackerel under the grill. Serve with rice and cucumber/onion salad  :D

I've kept the chili mix in the fridge for up to 5 days. be warned, it gets hotter for the first 3 days. The chili mix can be frozen into blocks for later use.

fatgit

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 20:32 »
Out of 80 seeds, I had ONE germinate this year, and that was eaten by a flipping snail!

Last year, I grew them in large pots in one of those plastic greenhouses you buy in garden centres for £10 or so, seemed to do well, I think I'll do the same next year instead of in the greenhouse.
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 22:39 »
Well, after 3 attempts, I've managed to grow 11 chillies and peppers from all the seeds I had given me, unfortunately, the lemon drop that Biscombe sent me didn't survive, but the boule du turquoise did, and the yellow peppers that she sent me.  Good job I've still got loads frozen from last year, and lots of bottled chilli sauce!

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 22:53 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Well, after 3 attempts, I've managed to grow 11 chillies and peppers from all the seeds I had given me, unfortunately, the lemon drop that Biscombe sent me didn't survive, but the boule du turquoise did, and the yellow peppers that she sent me.  Good job I've still got loads frozen from last year, and lots of bottled chilli sauce!

I think some of the lemon drops you sent me came through, grannie, they're in the greenhouse border now.  I had about 30 seedlings of various types come up.  My BdT are the biggest of the lot, but they're only 8" high.  My cayennes didn't come up very well at all.

On the subject of that seed swap we did, how are your asparagus peas doing?  Mine are just poking through the soil now.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 23:01 »
I had 6 asparagus peas germinate Mel.  They are in a HUGE pot down near the onions, and are doing really well.  I thought they would grow up canes like ordinary peas, hence the pot, but they are spreading outwards, but they are doing just great thank you!  can't wait to see what they are like!

Hope the lemon drop do well for you!!!

xx
Chilli plants not flowering or growing chilli's?

Started by bb_odiham on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 19, 2008, 12:12
by gobs
xx
Sow chilli plants now for better/more chilli's next year?

Started by green_fingered_ash on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 21:01
by sunshineband
xx
when to thin out chilli peppers into pots

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 17:33
by jambop
xx
Where to keep Chilli plants?

Started by lauren on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 21:39
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 29 queries.